Utila, Honduras in October....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lambster

Registered
Reaction score
Can any one tell me what it is like in Utila in October. Is it hurricane or rainy season then??
I know that this is probably not one of the months that you see whale sharks but is there other to see while you are diving there?

Or maybe even any other non diving activites that you would recommend..

Thanks...

lambster:
Utila in October. Is it hurricane or rainy season then??
I know that this is probably not one of the months that you see whale sharks but is there other to see while you are diving there?

Lots of information here at SCUBABoard on an archive search.

October? Beginning of the end of rainy season. End of story.

The surest way to not see a Whale Shark is to go to a dive destination and look for something else to do besides dive.

I may sound jaded, but after you've seen a whale shark or two, if you haven't sharpened your eye to see the small stuff, you're missing the boat. The Bay Islands may be touted for the Whale Shark, but that's because the really cool micro stuff isn't as easily talked about or seen by the newer divers.

Utila is the land of the magnifying glass. Go slowly, perfect your buoyancy. Trust me, if a Whale Shark swims by, your buddies will let you know. In the mean time- find a Pipefish.

RoatanMan:
Lots of information here at SCUBABoard on an archive search.

October? Beginning of the end of rainy season. End of story.

The surest way to not see a Whale Shark is to go to a dive destination and look for something else to do besides dive.

I may sound jaded, but after you've seen a whale shark or two, if you haven't sharpened your eye to see the small stuff, you're missing the boat. The Bay Islands may be touted for the Whale Shark, but that's because the really cool micro stuff isn't as easily talked about or seen by the newer divers.

Utila is the land of the magnifying glass. Go slowly, perfect your buoyancy. Trust me, if a Whale Shark swims by, your buddies will let you know. In the mean time- find a Pipefish.
We saw loads of pipefish while there. Our best dive was at Black Hills. Tons of variety of fish and we saw a big beauty of a moray out swimming as well as turtles. Loads of little things. I love sneaking up on garden eels!

In October 2004 the weather was wonderful, lots of sun and very little rain.
2005 However was a different story, we had the effects of Hurricaine Wilma, and Hurricaine Beta, which disrupted diving and effected the visability.
We were on one of the smaller Keys off Utila and were stranded for a couple of weeks as water too rough for boats etc.
It is really a lottery and if you can predict the Hurricaine season then you will make a fortune. Basically go and enjoy your time there, but be aware that as in any part of the carribean Hurricaines happen and if one strikes whilst you are there, just follow local instructions given on local tv and radio....... Basically if the locals leave then do the same !!

Let's see - October is close to the middle of hurricane season - granted over the hump and the island is pretty much in the hurricane belt.

I can see that there is no way a hurricane could ever be a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom