Utila vs. Bocas del Toro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

battles2a5

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone here been to both of these spots? I am trying to nail down my destination for a trip in November. I will most likely go alone as all of my friends are scared of Central America and very few of them care to dive.

I have read tons about Utila and it seems like a logical destination, but I have read a few things about Bocas as well and it looks interesting. Specifically, I am looking for a comparison between:
- Quality of diving (wildlife, reefs, etc.)
- Quality of diving operations
- Non-diving activities/ nightlife
- Cost of diving

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh- and if anyone is up for this trip, let me know! :D

battles2a5:
Anyone here been to both of these spots? Specifically, I am looking for a comparison between:

- Non-diving activities/ nightlife

Never been to Bocas, but if you're seriously asking about the nightlife, I mean, really? Do a search through the archives. If you want nightlife in Utila, you had better bring it with you. My friends tell me that Bocas is party central for Panama.

I found only this local operator http://www.starfleetscuba.com/ and I have to tell'ya, anybody pictured with that much stuff dangling under them in Utila would get re-arranged quickly. If you can't know anything else about a dive op other than the pix that they use- let that be an indicator. My friends, as referenced earlier, have no plans to return there to dive. They have been to Utila several times and will return.

Dive sites Bocas: http://www.starfleetscuba.com/dive_sites.html?LMSID=fab53a473b10281436b6222a0cf2c722

Dive sites Utila: http://www.aboututila.com/Maps/Map_Dive_Sites.htm

Bocas does sound like an excellent party town with some diving as a diversion. But remember- when there's surf, there's usually little reef growth.

I guess I should clarify; I don't want nightlife in terms of going out and partying; this is a dedicated dive trip. My impression of Utila is that it is similar to Caye Caulker in Belize- a few resturants and stuff but people are still active at night.

I didn't realize Bocas was a party spot. I met some people in Belize who said they enjoyed the diving there. But thank you for your advice. I think I'll probably head to Utila.

I am obviously bias as I love Utila and have not visited Bocas but.....

I have alot of friends who have done both islands and the diving here on Utila kicks Bocas in to touch (sorry, English Rugby analogy)... much better here.

Prices on Utila are $215 for 10 tanks, cant speak for Bocas.

Utila has several 5 star centers and three CDCs (top end of PADI awards for dive shops).

Bocas I understand to be prettier topside.

Sorry, cannot be more precise but hope that helps.

Simon

Ive spent some time in both places. The diving is FAR and AWAY better in Utila. Bocas is mediocre at best. Depending on what time of year you go,the rains can have huge impact on the vis. as there are a lot of rivers in the area.It rains a lot in Bocas. As far as topside goes,Bocas is a GREAT place to hang out. There is more to do there than Utila. If diving is your main reason for the trip ,I would go to Utila. There are enough bars and restuarants to keep you happy and a lot of interesting people. Your analagy of Utila to Cay Caulker is pretty good only a bit smaller and less developed. I really Liked Bocas. It is a great destination but not as a dedicated dive trip. I would dive it for something to do when I was there. It is a beautiful area. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom