Utila whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawrenceh, you didn't see whale sharks on your whale shark dives in Belize at Gladden Spit? !?!? How many dives did you do there and over how many days and within timing of the full moon??

i was there for a week, two years in a row for the full moon cubera snapper spawn in march/april, 2005/6. i saw them 3 days out of 10 total days diving but fleeting views in water that has viz of maybe 40-50 feet. there is so much snapper sperm in the water its like swimming thru a bowl of milk. add into that long boat trips in not great weather and the whole thing seems like a bit of a slog. in isla mejeres you can snorkel with groups of them feeding at the surface for 10-15 mins at a time in 120+ viz, even in utila you'll see them for much more time and in much better viz than gladden spit.

Thanks people. Actually, it is April 2016 that I was talking about, that being my last dive trip before retiring from the sport. I therefore decided to "go with a splash" so to speak.

Based on the information given here, I decided to increase my chances of seeing whale sharks by extending my trip. The first part of the trip is a week of liveaboard diving on the Caribbean Explorer II to Saba & St Kitts (that is not for whale sharks). I then fly to Utila for 6 days of diving and then onto Roatan for 4 more days of diving. depending on Tropic Air flight connections, I can take the early morning flight from Roatan to Belize on Thursday 21st April 2016 and get transport (I know a relaible transfer company in Belize City) to Placencia, arriving the same afternoon. The following day, Friday 22nd April 2016 is a Full Moon Day. After a couple of days of diving in Placencia, I could return to Belize city and take the flight to Miami and then back to England to hang-up my fins for good.

Sounds like a cool trip!

I know you won't be going to Mexico for the whale sharks, but this is what it looks like

455.jpg

Lawrenceh, some of your description is familiar but for me, we saw many at the surface (snorkelers were ecstatic). I myself in two days saw seven or more, while at depth . . At least two up close and personal. Heaven!! There were a couple of divers in our group that didn't see them. Why or how they could have missed them, I've no idea!! Most confusing.

In any event, if the goal is to see them, I don't dispute the Isla mujueres snorkeling trip. If the goal is to dive with them (as was my goal), then Gladden Spit is where it's at.

In this regard, please refer to the posts of Scubaboard member Ralph Capeling. The man on the scene in Placencia with the whale shark sighting report!

I did Utila this April when it was peak season. Utila is a great trip but if whale shark is your goal then there are certain things you need to be aware of.

Whale shark trips are scheduled within dive trips. This means that if you are going for a dive and the skipper sees water boil he yells "WHALE SHARK! GEAR UP!" Now you could be strapped into your dive gear but they want you to snorkel so you have to take your gear off and then put on your mask and snorkel and sit in a line where you are straddling the person (butt against crotch). It is funny! Then you hear GO GO GO and people start sliding in from the back of the boat. Timing to get into the water is crucial. If you are late you will see the glimpse of a giant tail and if you are too early you will cause the whale shark to change course. Depending on where in the line you sit, timing is really not anything you have a control over.

If this drill is repeated over a week then yes you may see a whale shark as I did. In fact I saw them 3 - 4 times but nothing was a close encounter.

I have no done whale shark dives elsewhere but I have been told that Mexico offers better encounters than Utila. Utila is still not bad though.

OP........try Oslob, Cebu Philippines--------you will NOT be sorry.....:)

Iv'e been to Utila at that time of year and went out on several "whale Shark trips"

The sightings were uncommon, 2 over 2 days and by the time we got to the area, there were several other boats on site as well. We all sat on the dive platform of the boat in full snorkel gear in the heat, sucking diesel fumes.

The captain maneuvered the boat to get us in the water in front of the shark, which swam by in about 30 seconds.
It was spectacular, but over fast.
My understanding is that there is no diving with whale sharks on Utila, just snorkeling.

Notwithstanding, the rest of the experience on Utila was excellent. Good walls, lots of life. Nice buzz in town.

Gah, Hintermann, I still get horrified chills every time you talk about hanging up your fins for good. You've explained already, thanks for that . . .it just makes me sad.

Last edited:
ps. there's been whalesharks around utila this week and last!!

ps. there's been whalesharks around utila this week and last!!

Hope they stay.....Headed there in 3 days, will be there during the full moon. But won't be disappointed if we do not see them, we were lucky enough to see them on a dive trip to Roatan a few years ago as a total surprise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom