UW Photoshop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here it goes...
Has anyone purchased and used UWPHOTOSHOP by Doug Sloss? It is for photoshop CS2 and I only have photoshop 7. Was wondering if I would still get a benefit of purchasing it. The samples on line seem simple enough and I know NOTHING about photoshop.
Thanks,
Jill

Hi Jill,

I have the UW workshop and use PS7. I love, love, love it! I would absolutely recommend it.

My husband bought it for me for Christmas and I am still using it (it is in my laptop now)...

The are some things that he shows you in CS2 that PS7 won't do, but the dvd still has tons of tips and tricks. You don't have to be an expert to get a lot out of it. He shows you step by step (where to click, when to hold down the ctrl key, etc). He gives you good basics and also shows you how to do some of the small things that make the difference between a good shot and a great shot.

DamselDoc

Is underwater workshop a program or is it tutorial on how to use ps on your uw pictures?

It is a tutorial...

The workshop has topics like adjusting colors using curves or with lab mode, reducing backscatter, cropping, setting workflow options, making the water blue (one of my personal favorites), etc. The author walks you through all of the steps and gives you advice on adjusting your images and using PS.

Below are a few quick before and afters. (I have dropped the resolutions and file sizes so it loses some of its impact, but it gives you an idea of some of the things that you can do pretty quick).

grove_before.jpg

cuda_on_watch_1_keys_508.jpg

I use CS2 and have liked the upgrade. Basically, for UW stuff, try out everything under the edit > adjustments menu. My favorite to start with is eidt > adjustments > photo filter > warming filter. It is equivalent to putting an amber filter on your camera. In Photoshop 7 I had to create a duplicate layer, desaturate it, hue it amber then merge it into the pciture to get the same effect as the warming filter gives. (I don't think that feature was on Photoshop 7, if it was - I didn't know about it then.)

I've also found that messing with the curves function is very useful. If you try simply doing autolevels, the reds get exposed wierd - especially in blue water type shots where you are far away from the subject or the subject is gray. Sometimes those look better if you completely desaturate the picture and go with black and white. Then adjust the contrast. You can learn a great deal from the tutorials disc that comes with the program.

SMW

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here it goes...
Has anyone purchased and used UWPHOTOSHOP by Doug Sloss? It is for photoshop CS2 and I only have photoshop 7. Was wondering if I would still get a benefit of purchasing it. The samples on line seem simple enough and I know NOTHING about photoshop.
Thanks,
Jill

Jill.

It is the very very best....

Well Worth more then the money...

Doug tells it all ..!

I refer to it (the Dvd ) over and over!!

You won't be sorry ..

you can also use the action from adobe called underwater.atn, i just stop the auto levels part and do my own. it will work with any version of photoshop 7-cs3. i've attached it in a zip file to this post. good luck.
twist.

Attachments

• underwater.zip
    753 bytes · Views: 36
Thanks for all your info. I can't afford to buy CS2 (maybe because I keep buying diving stuff) and have to suffer with photoshop 7. IM BUYING UWPHOTOSHOP TODAY!!!! I wish I could get to a real live class... figuring all the layers and masks are tough! Just figured out how to do B/W and add color to... that is neat too.

RC... go to uwphotoshop.com

DamzelDoc - great pics... how deep? what kind of camera. I just purchased a sealife DC660 w/dual stobes in Jan. Used it in Roatan and got some nice pics..still figuring that whole thing out too

Thanks Twistedarts, as soon as I get home from work, I'm unzipping.... well the file that is:no

Jill

from Jill... " DamzelDoc - great pics... how deep? what kind of camera. I just purchased a sealife DC660 w/dual stobes in Jan. Used it in Roatan and got some nice pics..still figuring that whole thing out too"

Jill... my depth was about 80 feet. The pic was from a dive on the Spiegel Grove in the Keys. We are using an Olympus 5050 with dual Inon strobes (with diffusers. The diffusers make a huge difference.

DamselDoc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom