UW video camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike-G

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,
I've been looking for a new video camera setup and have certain wants. These are:
Small and easy to travel with
Must have ZOOM
Must have either white balance or at least be able to mount a color correction lens
High resolution / HD

So far, the setup I like and and am considering is the Sealife DC1400. Does anyone have any experience with this camera and or have a different recommendation that satisfies my wants?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Keep looking...maybe one of the Sony RX100 series does what you want.

p. 37 in the DC1400 manual:
The zoom function cannot be used during
video recording
.The camera will auto focus at
the subject when pushing the shutter button
to start recording. Once video recording has
started, the auto focus is locked.

Ugh. I actually wrote someone at Sealife who said it would zoom while taking video. Obviously she didn't know her own products. Zooming while recording is a neat feature that I used a lot with my homemade UW housing and (now ancient) Sony video camera. If I can't find what I want then I'll make my own again ... but it will be a PITA to travel with is the real problem.

So, I don't know if you're willing to entertain a GoPro style camera, but they are getting incredibly better. I picked up a knockoff "SJ9000 4K 30 FPS" on eBay for $50 and to my surprise, the camera has something like 12x zoom that functions under water. 1080p at 60 FPS looks amazing and the photos are very impressive as well.

So, I don't know if you're willing to entertain a GoPro style camera, but they are getting incredibly better. I picked up a knockoff "SJ9000 4K 30 FPS" on eBay for $50 and to my surprise, the camera has something like 12x zoom that functions under water. 1080p at 60 FPS looks amazing and the photos are very impressive as well.

CuzzA, for a $50 gamble, I just ordered one. It comes with an extra battery and charger. Even if it's junk, I'm not out a ton of cash. Thanks for the recommendation. I probably won't get to use it until next year but that gives me time to make a handle and color correction filter for it. Thanks again.

Can't go wrong with an authentic camera from the SJ line for the price they are, I've had 5 over the years. Better color accuracy, contrast and resolution compared to many current 300$ cameras I've tested. Just don't expect 1000$ performance from 50$ product.

Just a note: The zoom is digital, meaning it gets grainy and low resolution if overused.

Great choice and recommendation. You can pick up the filters for it at a couple bucks each.

Let us see what you develop for the handle.

Enjoy,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom