Uwatec Digital Bottom Timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Being brand new to diving (no dives since OW cert), I'm preparing in investing in my basic gear of fins, mask, snorkel, and a bit of neoprene.

I found this neat little device, the Uwatec digital bottom timer. As someone without a dive computer, and no intention of getting one anytime soon, I became rather interested in this piece of equipment that records all of my dive data for later. I may someday go with a computer, but until then I like the convenience this thing claims.

Has anyone used this? What do you think of it? Throw me a review. :)

Thanks!

Works fine, lasts a long time. Turns on in water, turns off out of water.
Thats about it. Very simple, gives the required information.
Only bad thing is being limited to 328' and having a strap thats too short.

MD

Short strap can be replaced with bungee for drysuit divers. Since you are new and diving neoprene I don't expect that to be a hindrance for you.

The money you would spend to get a computer later could be used instead for further training.

MechDiver once bubbled...
Works fine, lasts a long time. Turns on in water, turns off out of water.
Thats about it. Very simple, gives the required information.
Only bad thing is being limited to 328' and having a strap thats too short.

MD

And when you decide to move up to a grownup dive computer, keep the Uwatec so when you start down the road to tekkydom you'll have a headstart on the gear.

And yeah, the 328' thing is a damned nuisance. I've come within 200' of being in deep bt doodoo on more than one occasion. Too durned close for me.

JF

Uncle Pug, you read my mind.

I see a computer as a nice convenience, but to me the data is the important part. If I have a good recorder available, I figure I'll learn my tables a whole lot better without relying on some overblown calculator to do the job for me.

I repair computers for a living. I'm not about to make my life dependent upon them. :)

I am relitivly new to the sport i have only about 80 dives and have started my dive master program and advanced nitrox. i find i dive as much as possable like once a week.
I bought my computer right after i got my basics{bc, mask,ect} i had just finished my advanced open water. I happened to get a uwatec aladin air z nitrox. I find that diving my computer has givin me more time under water to do what i want to do, it also has the benifit of the print out . it shows me my dive on paper, it charts gas depth temp mistakes and has let me become a better diver by cretecing my dives after the dive. there are a lot of toys and gadjets out there, and i recomend a computer for new divers after they learn there tables for the educational value and the safty value. If you skrew up your computer can tell you at that moment your doing something wrong and later you can see why were and how you did it wrong.

was_one once bubbled...

If you skrew up your computer can tell you at that moment your doing something wrong and later you can see why were and how you did it wrong.

Aside from the fact this has nothing to do with a Uwatec B/T.

And you're gonna be a DM huh?
Geez

Hello,

I have the oms version (same thing, different label) and it works really good. You can find them on ebay or from LeisurePro for good prices. Well worth the investment.

Ed

i see i got off the point here. what i was trying to say is uwatec makes a great product, but there are a lot of other makers out there with comprable products. before you buy one check the others out, some have more features than other, and some have less, mine has great features but the sunto, that i missed has more features that i really would have liked. If you know what kind of diving your likley to do , you might find something with extra features that might come in handy. I didn't really look into the features of other brands and have out grown my computer, now im smarter and looking for something that will grow with my needs, i could have saved some money by looking at more choices.

The one they sell at Scubastore.com is metric.

Not much of a problem for depth, but I'm not that great at multiplying 9/5. Maybe I'll just double the value and fudge the addition.

BTW. what are these bungies and where do you get them? I assume they are not bungee cord.

I went back and did some calculations...
If you double the metric temperature and add 30, you'll be at less than 5% error from 40F to 86F, and have the exact temperature at 50F.

C F F2 Error
0 | 32 | 30 | 6.25%
5 | 41 | 40 | 2.44%
10 | 50 | 50 | 0.00%
15 | 59 | 60 | 1.69%
20 | 68 | 70 | 2.94%
25 | 77 | 80 | 3.90%
30 | 86 | 90 | 4.65%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom