Uwatec owners beware!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuoyantC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Uwatec or potential Uwatec owners beware that customer service for their products is virtually non-existent. I have been trying unsuccessfully to tract down an Aladin Z Nitrox sent in for repair in December of last year, and a friend is in the same situation.

So far ScubaPro/Uwatec has not even acknowledged my requests nor those of the dealer who sent it in. This is a great computer, but these computers do not have user replaceable batteries. This is not always a bad thing as they last for years, but to give up your gear for what could be an entire dive season for most is totally unreasonable. There are way too many other choices out there to bother with this nonsense.

I used to own an Air-Z Nitrox. I think that model is a couple of generations behind the current models. Now I have a Smartcom as my backup computer, which seems to be on the way out as well. (It no longer appears on the Uwatec site and LeisurePro is low on stock.) They seem to push them to obsolescence pretty quickly; maybe not supporting them is one way to prod users to upgrade. I bought a series of Uwatecs, mostly to keep my electronic dive log coherent, but I don't care about that anymore. When the Smartcom dies its replacement will not be an Uwatec.

Here in Europe there are at least two firms, that replace those batteries including reset, for about Euro 50 + postage. I'm not sure if it is allowed to mention their names here, but you can mail me to get the addresses, or just search at eBay under "Uwatec battery replacement". Normally you'll get the item back within some 15 days.
vrongen@hotmaildotcom

Last edited:
£30 on English Ebay.
So did you give your computer to the dive shop with no receipt to say they had it? If you have the receipt then the shop need to put up and replace it.
I gave mine to my local dive store and had it back as good as new in just 3 weeks after they forst sent it ti Belguim for repair but they had to send it to France.
Sounds more like a problem with the shop you sent it through.

This was sent in by the local shop. My point was that even the shop as an authorized dealer cannot get any information from Uwatec/ScubaPro. It was not sent in because of a battery issue, rather a damaged transmitter. A friend's Uwatec was sent in the same time with the same results. These were shipped by a local dealer through ScubaPro's largest Pacific distributor to the service center. If they cannot get information back...... what chance does an individual have of obtaining service from them?

You should not have to get information. If you got a receipt for leaving it with the shop then they are responsible for the safe return of your goods. They have to return within a reasonable time scale or if lost, replace it.
Have you got a receipt?
It may not even be Uwatec or the shop at fault, it may be the courier that has lost the things. Would explain why two have gone at the same time.

Finally got a reply from the shop, supposedly it is en route from ScubaPro....we'll see if it shows up in the next couple weeks. 14 weeks and counting at this point. I also managed to get in touch with the regional rep who I must say did respond quickly saying he was looking into the issue. Too bad the communication link isn't public and required persistence to track down.

And CHP you are right I should not have to go get the information, but it is ScubaPro/Uwatecs fault for the delay.

When the battery on my aladdin air z nitrox was down, I asked one shop I really trust and the owner told me that they usually send them to Hongkong but after once he sent 12 pcs and they didn't come back and they didn't respond to any question if they have received them he stopped with that.
There is a company in Austria which is doing the battery exchange. They need 5 days, you can call them, if you need it more quick, they try to do it more quick.

Before the battery change I considered a new Computer and asked Scubapro if the Aladdin Air Z Nitrox can be used on 300 bar systems.
They told me yes they can be used.
Yes they can be used, just they don't show the pressure over 250 bar:banghead: when I tried it.
yes avoid them....buy any other brand.

If it been that long it should be a no charge service and they should pay for shipping. But it could have been held up in customs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom