v12 split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic makes them. They're kinda expensive($180). I tried them, but I didn't really like them. They were easy to kick, but they felt a bit too floppy. They're the only split fins I've tried, so I can't really compare them.

I have them, and like them. Seems that I can move through the water pretty well when I need to. But they're my first fin, so I don't have anything to compare them to either. But I haven't had any problems.

Apollo Fins are much better than the Oceanic. The V-12s are OK. I had a pair for about a year. I then tried the Apollos and never went back. You won't regret it.

My home bud & I both have them. I dive with Tusa split fins for the first few years, but am happier with these. I got mine from good ol' ScubaToys in Dallas for a lot less than $180.:wink:

I see that you've already had a good discussion on whether to get splits at all? You may want to run a Search, especially on the equipment forum for more discussion.

If you don't want splits, get what you want. :)

The LDS I teach through carries the V12. I like them, but they aren't what fits my personal needs. My needs are best suited by the Scubapro Twin Jet. Similar fin, just wider and different dynamic, but same concept.

I have a pair of Oceanic Vortex V-12s I won in a contest. I'm not sure whether I like them better than my old Mares Quattro paddle fins, but I am sure I like my Scubapro Twin Jets better. As another poster noted, the V-12s are very floppy. The Twin Jets, even in blue and yellow, which are a softer composition then the black, are considerably stiffer. I feel like I have better control with the Twin Jets and they are better for frog kicks.

divingjd:
I have a pair of Oceanic Vortex V-12s I won in a contest. I'm not sure whether I like them better than my old Mares Quattro paddle fins, but I am sure I like my Scubapro Twin Jets better. As another poster noted, the V-12s are very floppy. The Twin Jets, even in blue and yellow, which are a softer composition then the black, are considerably stiffer. I feel like I have better control with the Twin Jets and they are better for frog kicks.
I'm not going to disagree with you here - just offer some ideas for discussion.

I bought my Tusa splits over 5 yrs ago, and my Inst tried them then. He said they seemed fine to him for ocean diving, but as an Inst - did not like the lag time in getting going. If he had a student he wanted to reach in a hurry, he did not want the pause for top speed on the splits. He liked a stiffer paddle with faster acceleration.

Yes, the V12s are floppy and for good reason. It's part of their dynamics, used to produce the total thrust efficiency.

I'll see if I can find someone I know who can better explain how they work and how they compare to post here soon.

thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom