Trip Report Valentina Liveaboard - Sea of Cortez from La Paz - November, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blues Runner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I spent six days on the Valentina diving the Sea of Cortez in mid-November. We departed and disembarked from La Paz. Although there is an airport in La Paz, flights are more readily available into Cabo SJD. La Paz is a two hour drive from the Cabo airport.

The Valentina is 130 feet long and was last refit in 2013. The cabins are individually AC controlled with ensuite bathrooms. The public areas are comfortable. The food was superb and plentiful. The crew from the captain to the stewards was awesome. Very attentive to passenger needs both while diving and onboard the ship.

The diving was great! Dives are conducted from zodiacs. The highlight was the sea lions at Los Islotes. Their playfulness and love for interacting with ivers is legendary. We also encountered schools of Mexican Barracuda , Sardines and one group (6) Scalloped Hammerheads. We did two night dives with Mobula Rays in the same bay in about 20 feet of water. Lights are used to attract the plankton which brings in the Mobula.

The winds prevented us from diving El Bajo that is a seamount that attracts mutiple schools of Hammerheads.

I would repeat the trip. Good value for the dollar. Nitrox is available.

Pictures and video links follow:

MV-Valentina-Liveaboard-Main.jpg

Island (1 of 1).jpg

Los Isolates (1 of 1).jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

Sailfin Blenny 3 (1 of 1).jpg

Sardines 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Sea Lion 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Starfish 3 (1 of 1).jpg

Turtle 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Zodiac (1 of 1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG-2960.jpg
    IMG-2960.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Sea Lions 2 (1 of 1).jpg
    Sea Lions 2 (1 of 1).jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2985.jpg
    IMG_2985.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 51
Very glad to see your trip report. This is a boat I don’t see many reviews on, a destination that seems to gain interest as the years go by, and if I recall correctly, land-based Cabo area dove op. trips tend to have more limited five counts?

How many dives offered, and what were the water temp.s?

Thanks for sharing. Loved all the videos, but really liked the sea lion interaction. What site was that? Were those pups or adults?

You blew my mind with the sailfin blenny picture because it's a puzzle. What the heck is going on? Is that a mirror or a magnifying glass in the sand and what's behind it? It's cool!!

Very glad to see your trip report. This is a boat I don’t see many reviews on, a destination that seems to gain interest as the years go by, and if I recall correctly, land-based Cabo area dove op. trips tend to have more limited five counts?

How many dives offered, and what were the water temp.s?
Drich,

Land based excursions out of La Paz are a long boat ride. Probably a two hour average each way depending upon the seas. The liveaboard provides a better use of time. We did three dives per day which at 65 is fine for me! the water temps varied for 78-76. I started in a 3 mm, fleece frog skin and a beanie. Switched to a 5mm, fleece frog skin and full hood after the first night dive.

Is the mirror to make the blenny think a rival is present, and put on a display?

Exactly regarding the mirror. The DM had the mirror and loves macro life. It worked. Tough to get a great a shot. I had my wide angle lens on. Forced me to the set the camera in the sand without being able to see the focus.....Usually if I shoot enough frames I will get lucky! A couple more blenny shots:

Sailfin Blenny 4 (1 of 1).jpg

Sailfin Blenny (1 of 1).jpg

Awesome photos and videos! Thanks for sharing! Those dogs, err, sea lions look like so much fun!

I spent six days on the Valentina diving the Sea of Cortez in mid-November. We departed and disembarked from La Paz. Although there is an airport in La Paz, flights are more readily available into Cabo SJD. La Paz is a two hour drive from the Cabo airport.

The Valentina is 130 feet long and was last refit in 2013. The cabins are individually AC controlled with ensuite bathrooms. The public areas are comfortable. The food was superb and plentiful. The crew from the captain to the stewards was awesome. Very attentive to passenger needs both while diving and onboard the ship.

The diving was great! Dives are conducted from zodiacs. The highlight was the sea lions at Los Islotes. Their playfulness and love for interacting with ivers is legendary. We also encountered schools of Mexican Barracuda , Sardines and one group (6) Scalloped Hammerheads. We did two night dives with Mobula Rays in the same bay in about 20 feet of water. Lights are used to attract the plankton which brings in the Mobula.

The winds prevented us from diving El Bajo that is a seamount that attracts mutiple schools of Hammerheads.

I would repeat the trip. Good value for the dollar. Nitrox is available.

Pictures and video links follow:

View attachment 755112

View attachment 755114

View attachment 755115

View attachment 755116

View attachment 755117

View attachment 755118

View attachment 755119

View attachment 755121

View attachment 755122

View attachment 755123

Planning a trip for this November -- probably going to be La Paz based, the group doesn't want to do a live aboard....any comments about the water temp and viz during your trip?

Planning a trip for this November -- probably going to be La Paz based, the group doesn't want to do a live aboard....any comments about the water temp and viz during your trip?
Andy,

I apologize for the delayed response. The water temperatures averaged 78 degrees on my trip. The visabilty probably averaged 60-70 feet depending upon the location. I used a 3MM and Frog Skin + a hood during the day. I bumped up to a 5MIL for night dives and the last day of diving.

The Sea Lions and Mobula Rays were the absolute hit of the trip.

Enjoy your time there!

David

Back
Top Bottom