Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
he he. You are funny.

Hey, pack behavior IS part of the team thing, to deny that consensus building part is unrealistic.

The whole alpha thing and all...part of the reason I dive is to watch the humanoids.

SOMETIMES I am safer in the pack, but not always.

You are only "safe" in the middle of the pack, leading the pack or following is not safe.
Problem with being in the middle is the view sucks...

he has been diving his whole life...

probably a hard thing to cover up

what Nemrod points out in a humorous way, is just to highlight how much approval newish divers can need. (or any diver when you feel bit threatened)

I think it is a valuable point, one that if you take seriously, can keep you alive.

The team think he refers to is as deadly as anything I can think of. I refer to it as "falling in love with the plan". JB coined it to me referring to how much more likely it CAN be, the more you plan something, the more invested you get, and that coupled with the dilution that occurs in situations where you are compromising with others, can be a seductive force. he claims it to be a common pitfall in combat.

So..once you are in a team, it is important to not get sucked into a false sense of security, which is a remnant instinct, from a more primitive time, IMV.

ams511:
I think DIR is the way to go. Most if not all of their suggestions make sense for all divers. I wish I could take the fundies class but alas I am a smoker. :(

Just lie on the medical questionare :D:mooner:

yup, but don't wear a patch, some have failed because the instr saw the patch.

JeffG:

Say it ain't so

cerich:
yup, but don't wear a patch, some have failed because the instr saw the patch.
Really? Interesting.

I wonder why they put that requirement in for the fundies class. I can see it for Cave 1 and Tech 1, but not for fundies.

JeffG:
Really? Interesting.

I wonder why they put that requirement in for the fundies class. I can see it for Cave 1 and Tech 1, but not for fundies.

what requiremnet are you talking about?

I've "heard" from sources that the instructors have been told to look for the patch. I also don't read up on current GUE standards....

Hawk:
The only training, no, more of an info type of video I have seen from them, was the worst piece of junk I've ever seen. It was about 5 years ago that I saw it. It had two idiots in someone's garage acting like they were the only two on earth that knew anything about diving. I laughed, shook my head at their ignorance, and decided right then that I would never have anything to do with them. This video came off of the GUE website. I have no idea of the title, but boy what a fine piece it was!

To be completely closed minded to anything that can help improve one's diving, no matter where it comes from, is in my mind foolish. To follow people like I saw on the video, is in my mind being an idiot.

Later, Rob.

I'm wondering if you're referring to the DVD, 3 discs IIRC; if so, that would be JJ and GI3, no?:D If so, that's a bit contradictory...

catherine96821:
The team think he refers to is as deadly as anything I can think of. I refer to it as "falling in love with the plan". JB coined it to me referring to how much more likely it CAN be, the more you plan something, the more invested you get, and that coupled with the dilution that occurs in situations where you are compromising with others, can be a seductive force. he claims it to be a common pitfall in combat.

So..once you are in a team, it is important to not get sucked into a false sense of security, which is a remnant instinct, from a more primitive time, IMV.

Catherine: Your post is very important. This whole "team" concept goes way out the window when the SHTF. Marine officers train for over a year before being deployed-12 hours a day, 6.5 days a week. One concept drilled over and over is not to fall in love with the plan. Yes, it can be fun for some folks to practice their "skills". Rely on yourself. If you are capable you can help others.

Back
Top Bottom