Valve Manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Thermo valves have a dip tube that unscrews with an Allen wrench. My diverite you have to grab with vice grips which scratches the chrome. (Then I hide the scratches inside the tank...)

The XS manifolds also have the Allen dip tubes. All the others don't AFAIK

in regards to both above posts... XS Scuba started using the Allen Dip Tubes a few years ago.
Thermo you had to unscrew with vice grips. I guess Thermo has the hex dip tube now too. but this makes sense.

XS Scuba became the sole distributor for Worthington and Luxfer. So pretty much if you wanted a tank, chances were it came through them. Thermo Valve was a separate company but was bought by XS Scuba several years ago. So the blending of their technologies makes perfect sense.

Thermo uses copper crash washers to seal the bonnet nut, dive rite uses o-rings.

The XS Scuba uses copper crush seats also.

One more valve that is seen often is the Blue Steel Valve. This is typically sold on Italian Faber tanks. The Blue Steel valve is made by San-o-sub and then labeled "Blue Steel", who is the US distributor for Faber. Nothing wrong with these valves, but having owned both Blue Steel and Thermo valves, I like the Thermo valves (or XS Scuba valves) better.

but not enough to make me go spend lots of $$$ to replace them.

Mike by looking at the image posted by Tortuga one can see they are not using the washers but orings instead.

hmmm.... Good observation. . It does say "no more copper crush washers".

and perhaps I should have been more specific in my post also on which valve I was reffering to. the pic that Tortuga posted is the valve you can use as a "single" or "double/manifold" by adding an isolator. I was referring to the "single tank only valve" (which is a completely different valve) . But I also suspect that they might have changed that also.

I'm guessing they've updated their manufacturing process in the last year or two.

I'll try to research it and figure out.

Thanks for point this correction out to me. :thumb:

What about Sea Elite valves and manifolds? They look and cost the same as Dive Rite. I'm a cold water diver so I assumed Thermo/XsScuba would be easier with gloves.

What about Sea Elite valves and manifolds? They look and cost the same as Dive Rite. I'm a cold water diver so I assumed Thermo/XsScuba would be easier with gloves.

chances are the Sea Elite is made in the same exact factory that the other brands are made in.

Their doubles manifolds have always been popular. I wouldn't have any issues buying one of their brand.

So are XS Scuba and Thermo valves different besides the XS Scuba valve has the red/green indicator for open close. Are they the same valve with a slightly different handle? Also I saw that XS Scuba has a PVD military spec valve? Is there any real benefit to this other than the "cool looks"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom