Vandenberg Sat-dishes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sound's about right. To bad its at night. Can't fly in and stay that long. But I will call Joe and see what is up. I will call him before happy hour starts.

Sound's about right. To bad its at night. Can't fly in and stay that long. But I will call Joe and see what is up. I will call him before happy hour starts.

I'm sure that will be fine. This is just a planning thing, I believe. You may be better off coming in when the work is actually going on.

--

Bud

The only option to remove them I can see would be to hire a commercial salvor to come in, float them, and haul them away. I'm guessing a bill of $50k or better. Hmmm. Divers volunteering to make them secure, or hiring a salvor. C'mon, Jim, where you gonna get the scratch to haul them away if you can't afford an engineering study to leave them, huh?

so is there a up date on the meeting.

There was a great turn-out and the meeting stayed focused on what needed to be done. I don't have notes with me, but I think it went well. This meeting was a group of concerned citizens and nobody from the Marine Sanctuary was there.

Anyhow, I have every confidence that the dishes will stay.

--

Bud

Thursday, June 2, 2011
City money, volunteer time to repair wreck's antennae
BY TIMOTHY O'HARA Citizen Staff
tohara@keysnews.com
Key West has agreed to pay the $10,000 needed to secure the two loose antennae on the USNS Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg, which was sunk as an artificial reef off the city two years ago.

Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary officials are concerned the antennae could be blown into the fragile coral reef during a tropical storm or hurricane, said Kent Edwards, who oversees the permitting requirements for the Vandenberg.

With hurricane season having started Wednesday, the city -- which holds the permit for the wreck and is liable for any damage to reefs in the sanctuary -- wants to secure the antennae soon, city Port Director Jim Fitton said. He recently met with City Manager Jim Scholl, who agreed to help fund the project, Fitton said.

"Our goal is to have it done as soon as possible," Fitton said. "This is the right thing to do. We are lowering our risk and the (dive) industry really wants it. In the long run, it will be cheaper to fix it than to remove it."

The $10,000 would be for cables, chains, clamps and other equipment needed to secure the antennae. Capt. Joe Weatherby, who organized the Vandenberg sinking, commercial diver Capt. Jon Hazelbaker and dive master Randy Pekarik have spearheaded the project, enlisting the support of nearly every dive business in town that has volunteered its boats and crews to do the underwater work.

Weatherby, Hazelbaker and others recently dived the Vandenberg and took video and still images of the ship to locate rigging areas where they can secure the cables and chains. Each of the 4-plus-ton antennae will need at least three new rigging points, Hazelbaker said.

Once started, the work should take only a couple of weeks to complete, Hazelbaker said.

The antennae broke free when the ship initially was sunk, but crews reattached them several days later. Since then, the antennae have been a concern, Edwards has said.

The wreck has brought much needed visitors to Key West, according to a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) economist's study released last month. It shows the Vandenberg artificial reef generated $7.3 million in sales and $3.2 million in local income and created 105 new jobs in the first 12 months after the 520-foot ship was sunk six miles off Key West in May 2009.

The Vandenberg also generated $239,649 in local sales-tax revenue and $378,920 in state sales taxes in its first year, NOAA economist Bob Leeworthy said. "It gave Key West a real boost," he said Thursday. The increased revenue came at a time when the national economy was down 12 percent, Leeworthy said.

tohara@keysnews.com

I wish I was there.

Safe dives
Trtldvr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom