Venice Beach dive report June 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversolo:
It was dead calm when I got there this morning, seas like glass. But it was a little breezier when I exited, and from the West-Southwest, too.

We came over the skyway and the water was flatt, I wanted to turn the truck around and take the boat out instead, but we had a friend following us down there to dive with us.

Just a quick follow up report. I dove Caspersen beach park this morning. Vis was ok...about 8-10 ft. Really nice location once you get past the rocks and surf fishermen. The reef is much more extensive than Venice Ave. park and simply teemed with life. I saw many more species of reef fish there and the reef seemed more vibrant. I feel stupid saying this, but I never knew that sand dollars crawled! Coming back between the reef and shore, there is an extensive stretch of sand that is literally covered with sand dollars and you could see their tracks all over. It was very cool! If you go to Venice for teeth, this isn't a good spot, though. I only found six during a 94 min. dive. Can't tell you depth or temp readings...I couldn't find my aqualand this morning and didn't want to wake the wife looking for it...she thinks I went to work:wink:. I just used an old backup casio as a bottom timer with my spg.

Yeah, everything North of the pier was wiped out by the renourishment last year. The reef up by Alhambra used to be as nice as it is down by Casperson, but the snowbirds needed their sandy beach, soooo....

Viz was "ok" at 8-10'! Last few times I was down there I ran into the bottom on my descent it was so bad, I'd say 5-6" (yes inches) at best. Glad to hear that conditions have been pretty decent down there lately, I'm thinking of heading down Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom