Venice Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about checking out the vis at the Port Charlotte Beach Complex. There have been many times, especially when there was an east wind, when the Harbor has been very choppy and yet the vis & conditions at red rocks were great.

How was your dive today Brent?

Well.... Spent 2.5 hours in the water at the northernmost beach (#3) on Manasota
Key. Most of the afternoon the wind was blowing quite strongly directly from east to
west.. The vis I would say was in the "Top 5" of all the dives of the last 14
months.. :wink: I'm guessing 10+ feet maybe or so.. BUT, unfortunately, there was
nothing whatsoever to see... This beach bottom has absolutely nothing but sand
forever - no decent shells, no teeth (few teenies), no reef.. Very boring...

Have to pass on Venice or Red Rock tomorrow, as it's been pre-arranged for me to be
at Taildraggers house working on his computer tomorrow.. So, unless I can talk him
into a morning dive, no diving for me as I'll be busy..

Hope the good vis. holds up for the weekend...

Thanks Brent,

I was going to write off going tomorrow but now that I've heard a good report, I think I'll go out & give red rocks a look. I figure I might as well, before Matthew rolls in & messes it back up again. I'll let you know what I find.

Hi Guys,

Just got back from Red Rocks. Unfortunately the vis was not as good as at Manasota Key but it was divable. The reef is still there although you can see sections where the sand was blown over it to the point where it's hard to see the red. There are a ton of fish on it! I had literally a cloud of bait fish following me the entire time. Hopefully the vis will continue to improve.

Taildragger and I will be hitting Venice beach about 9:15am or so tomorrow
(Sunday)... He's picking me up at 8:30 and then we need to top off some tanks..

We'll be at the public beach area, out browsing the reef... Light blue full-size Ford
van. Hope to see some other divers up there..

I'm going to be at alhambra.

Today (Sunday) at the Venice public beach area, the vis was quite bad until you passed the 20ft depth mark, then it cleared up quite nicely (At least 8ft, if not 10ft vis).. At times in the 12-15ft region we had vis down to 2 feet or so... We completely missed the reef. Think we went out north of it, then headed south, and then came back in south of it...

Hi guys,

Any news on gulf vis this week?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom