Very mild Narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very scary

For the moment I recolect everything I did and hope to continue like that, my instructor as well mention me that situation of not remembering what happen or gaps

How can you be sure? It isn't possible to know what you don't remember :)

I used to dive repeatedly to depths of 180-200 fsw on air. I rarely experienced any significant signs of narcosis even at those depths. At the time I was doing 250-350 dives a year so my body was probably pretty saturated with nitrogen.

Once the reason (filming for an episode on "deep ecology") for those deep dives stopped, I rarely dove below 100 fsw. During that period I was noticeable narced as shallow as 107 fsw and very narced at 151 fsw.

You say this was your deepest dive ever. You could well have been experiencing some narcosis at that depth.

There are entire weeks of college I can't remember.

The "martini effect" :drunks: I have also "lost" many days this way

Thanks for your lights, I guess I have been lucky and be narc'd and didn't noticed, I will say the time I was at 37.4m with the sting ray and loosing the knots from the ropes that were attach to the lifting bags I spend more time, down there that when I was at 39.6m

But I did notice that I was kind of doing stupid things when I was taking out my scuba gear at the school, like puting the things with sand in the pool for no sandy gear in vs versa, as well that I forgot to bleed off the pressure from the regulator after closing the bottle, so I was not able to lose the 1st stage, my instructor made fun of me, I feld like a dork, may have those thing been effect of narcosis but that hit me while at surface ???, we did our safety stops as per the DC plus some extra time just enjoying the dive and take a look at fish and coral.

Narcosis doesn't last up to the surface at all.....it's not like alcohol. It's all about pressure. When you reduce the pressure you're at, you reduce the narcosis you're experiencing. Narcosis is all about the PPN2. Shallower means less PPN2. Surface you should have ZERO (literally ZERO) narcosis even if practically saturated with N2.

It's funny how quickly it happens, you should notice immediate relief in the water (if you're paying enough attention to notice). Once I noticed a dramatic increase in competency with a 10ft depth decrease. It was like a fog lifted.

What I've noticed is most new divers don't pay enough attention to notice they're narked.

I was told, that you have a sensation of happyness, drunkness, and maybe other type of sensation, but the thing is I just feel normal ( no I'm not drunk all day :) )
My first sign of being "under the influence", whether it's nitrogen or alcohol, is that I don't think as fast as I do when sober. I'm just getting dumb. I've never experienced neither dark nark nor "happy drunken" nark, but at 30m I usually notice that I'm dumber than on the surface. Some days I might be just a little, hardly noticeably, dumber at 30m, some days I might be almost bovine stupid at the same depth. But that "happy, drunken" feeling? Never.

YMMV, because nitrogen narcosis affects different people differently, and the effect varies with a lot of factors.

If you tried to text an old girlfriend or call all of your friends to tell them their the best you were definitely narc'd.

Back
Top Bottom