Very odd Suunto failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds like the pressure sensor failure I had on my X1. It went diving all by itself, and did multiple 250 foot bounce dives without me. (Thank goodness; it wouldn't have done them WITH me, that's for sure!)

Sorry you had to pay almost the full purchase price for the repair, but really, you were lucky . . . all too often, Suunto just says the unit is broken and unfixable.

I've had multiple failures with the depth sensor on the Suunto Cobra. It would think I was at a depth of 200ft at the surface so I sent it back. After a similar problem occurred with the replacement I switched brands, I'll probably never buy a Suunto again. Funny because on Ebay there is almost always a Suunto for sale with a bad depth sensor.

+1. I have an older cobra with only 41 dives and a depth sensor failure. I now have a nice paper weight.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...o-cobra-disappointment-looking-new-brand.html

is ur still under warranty? i hope so bc, at least for the cobra, depth sensor failures are non-repairable. i am now shopping for a computer from a different mfg

Sorry you had to pay almost the full purchase price for the repair, but really, you were lucky . . . all too often, Suunto just says the unit is broken and unfixable.

Query whether being forced to buy a different computer is really worse than being tempted with the option to repair that POS. Nice Shearwater Predators with VPM are going for $500-$600 now, so I can't really see $400 to put a Suunto on life support as money well spent. But each to their own.

Query whether being forced to buy a different computer is really worse than being tempted with the option to repair that POS. Nice Shearwater Predators with VPM are going for $500-$600 now, so I can't really see $400 to put a Suunto on life support as money well spent. But each to their own.

You are probably right. To be honest, I was probably unduly swayed by the fact it carries around the last 6 years of my dive history with it. Lot less bulky than a log book for fussy dive operators.

I really hope you have that downloaded and backed up somewhere.

You are probably right. To be honest, I was probably unduly swayed by the fact it carries around the last 6 years of my dive history with it. Lot less bulky than a log book for fussy dive operators.

No it didn't.

Suuntos only hold 36 hours of dive time.

History will log amount of dives and maximum depth as numbers e.g 536 80m (My Vytec)

EDIT: Incidentally my 3rd Suunto. Guess what went wrong with the other 2?:eyebrow:

I had the same issue in my vyper 2. It was a few days pass warranty but suunto sent me a brand new one. They seem to have issues with their depth sensors. Had the same issue on the original cobra as well. Since the replacements I have not had the issue again. I carry at least two computers on each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom