Very, very proud of my dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No flames here either... most things don't burn under water. Good to finally meet you and your buddy at the park.

Everybody came home safe, lessons were learned and the excitement for diving still glows. Good job.

However, read a bit more on gas and dive planing - you won't regret it.

I don't know what the problem with the link was, but I think I fixed it -- at least, it now works for me.

No flames needed. Certainly mistakes were made (breaking the team, breaking gas management rules), but it sounds like you've both learned from that and are moving (positively) forward. That's how this stuff works. As much as you try to prepare for "issues", inevitably some creep up. You deal (based on training and experience), take away lessons (discussion with team), and move forward so as to avoid them in the future. Done. Nicely handled.

Congratulations both on having successfully handled a tough situation and, by the sound of it, having imparted knowledge to a newer diver in a way that seems to have greatly increased her skills. No flames, but it would be a mistake not to discuss with your partner the fact that it would be better/safer to have stayed together and to have been more cognizant of gas levels on future dives. It's great to have all sorts of exuberance, so that conversation has to preserve it.

No flames needed. Certainly mistakes were made (breaking... gas management rules)

Rules that aren't taught by agencies can't be broken... or have they now adopted better standards involving this subject?

Rules that aren't taught by agencies can't be broken... or have they now adopted better standards involving this subject?

What agency? GUE rules or TDI rules or IANTD rules or PADI rules? Dive certs have taught me. Diving and talking to other divers has taught me much more.

My early SSI and PADI training taught me nothing more about gas management than "Back on the boat with 500 lbs." I don't think I even learned that as part of a cert. I might have learned it from the various dive charters I did early on. It wasn't until I started diving with tech divers that I even heard of the rule of thirds.

When I think of where I was after 20 dives and where my friend was after her first twenty I realize the world of diving knowledge I've aquired since then. I've tried to share as much as I can with her. We did buddy checks, planned our dives, talked after each dive about what we might have done better. She aquired a world of experience in our dives last week and I learned piles and piles of what NOT to take for granted. It was all good. It's a good day when nobody gets hurt.

On our first dive at Dutch Springs she was bouncing around in the water and flapping her arms. By the time we were done with the 11 dives in the kelp forest she was a mermaid. It was a beautiful thing to be part of. How do you get to be a better diver? How do you learn about diving? Dive, dive, dive.

My husband would fall over dead if I told him some of the stories from this trip, however.

By the way Dr. Bill, I am really glad I finally met you! And don't worry. I won't tell anyone on here about that thing you did at the dive park. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom