Veteran's Day BBQ @ Heisler Park, Laguna Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a day of diving and BBQ at Heisler Park on Friday, November 11th. Anyone interested in joining me??? Arrival time about 10:00am to whenever.

We have several reefs to dive from: Heisler Park, Divers Cove, Fisherman's, Shaw's, ect.

Laguna Sea Sports is close by for air fills.

Feel free to bring the family.

Hey Jan,

I might stop by with one or two of my sons. We are probably going to dive the Cleo St. Barge in the morning. If we do stop by, we'll bring our own food/drinks. Thanks for the invite!!

John

Hi Jan,
I got certified back in Sep. by Pacific Wilderness. Haven't dove since, do you mind if I
join you?
Please give me direction to Heisler Park if you don't mind.
Thanks
Andy

hi jan i am thinking about stopping by should i bring anything extra like food drinks a cooler whatever for anyone and how close is parking to the beach i mean can u set up on tables or anything or should i bring a beach cloth for setting up there. also not a greatly experienced diver like 15-20 dives is it a good place for not extremely experienced divers to go thnx

bahloola:
hi jan i am thinking about stopping by should i bring anything extra like food drinks a cooler whatever for anyone and how close is parking to the beach i mean can u set up on tables or anything or should i bring a beach cloth for setting up there. also not a greatly experienced diver like 15-20 dives is it a good place for not extremely experienced divers to go thnx

bahoola,

The park is sweet - beautiful with great facilities including tables. There's parking there if you get there early enough. You can definitely walk from your parking spot with gear. Bring quarters too. If you can't find parking on the street you can park where there are meters. It's a great place for novice divers too sandy entry with a max depth of about 40 fsw or so. As far as food..... Jan?

John

Hi everyone,

Sorry that I haven't replied the past couple of nights. I have been a little under the weather, but I feel fine now. However, looks like the weather is under us at the moment. We are currently have light sprinkles in the city of Orange.

Heisler, Divers Cove, Fisherman's, and Shaw's are all great places for newer divers or those with not many dives under their belts.

Metered parking is located directly above Heisler Park, so yes...bring plenty of quarters. If you want to drop your stuff off at Heisler, then move your car to the residential area and hike back to the park, that is fine too. I have done that, and may do that again on Friday.

As far as food and drinks, let's have everyone bring their own since there is no way of knowing how many will be showing up. I tend to bring extra to share in any event. I will have a brightly colored orange and yellow terry table cloth on one of the picnic tables. Feel free to bring extra table cloths so we can spread our wings a bit. With the cooler weather upon us, I'm don't think it will be that crowded down there, yet again, I could be wrong.

I forgot to mention, those that have children, there are some fantastic tide pools to be explored; nice clean bathrooms; and shower to rinse off.

Will post directions later.

Have to get back to work here.

Hi Everyone,

Boy....am I getting EXCITED!!! Laguan Sea Sports reported 20-25 foot Viz today at Shaw's Cove, and that was this afternoon!

I need to get an air fill first thing, so I may set up my table cloth, then head to LSS for my fill. So in case I'm not there, you know that I have the spot marked off.

To get to Heisler Park, it's quite easy.

Exit the #133 Laguna Canyon Road from the #5 or #405 (make sure it is NOT the toll Road exit). Take the canyon road all the way into downtown Laguna where it turns into Broadway. Make a RIGHT on Coast Highway. Make a LEFT on Cliff Dr. Follow the road around to your right. Pass the first stop sign. Just past the Lawn Bowling Club on the left hand side is Heisler Park. Park on either side of the street. Picnic Tables are below. Look for a brightly colored Orange and yellow table cloth with flowers. You have found me.

Bring your cameras, ect. For those of you that want to hunt for bugs, Heisler and I believe Diver's Cove are protected. You make take game out from Fisherman's that just a few yards up from Heisler/ Diver's Cove. Please make sure you have your fishing liscense with you. DFG have been known to patrol.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT!!! Laguna Beach requires you to dive with a snorkel!!! Yes, it's true, if you don't have one, you will be cited! Many divers carry the pocket snorkel which is fine. Also, no alcohol is allowed on the beach.

Let's plan our first dive around 11am.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Back
Top Bottom