Video Edit Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not? Kdenlive is a very stable, full of resources and free. It does the same as the paid software will. The catch is that it runs on Linux, which is also free.

It's worth giving both a try. Linux isn't as scary and complicated as 10 years ago. Most people can learn to use a new OS on their phones and tablets (i.e. Android and Apple-something) and Linux is not different and has the benefit of plenty of good quality free stuff :)

I can understand getting free software on an Open Source OS (I first used Linux in 1993), but I think to EXPECT it on Windows or Mac based systems is slightly unrealistic. The GoPro software isn't really "free..." it is paid for by those who purchase the camera system.

Good to hear Linux has a full featured video editing package for free. I may have to set my system up for dual boot again.

I can understand getting free software on an Open Source OS (I first used Linux in 1993), but I think to EXPECT it on Windows or Mac based systems is slightly unrealistic. The GoPro software isn't really "free..." it is paid for by those who purchase the camera system.

Good to hear Linux has a full featured video editing package for free. I may have to set my system up for dual boot again.

I first tried it on the late 90s and it lasted a whole couple hours - few things worked and I gave up.. It evolved much on the last 10 years, worth giving it a try if you can :)

Here's a link: http://kdenlive.org/

I'm using a program called TrakAxPC and I'm very pleased with the results. For $28 you get licenses for two PCs. It will use the mp4 files or the converted avi files from GoPro Studio. I've not had any issues with the software (unlike the GoPro Studio). The best way to learn the software is through the video tutorials which are pretty good. The Website says it is compatable with Vista, but I'm using a 64bit Windows 7 PC. Good luck.

Get Lightworks.
Here: Lightworks: The professional editor for everyone

It is a wonderfull piece of software with wonderfull video tutorials and it is completely free as long as you are happy with 720p H.264 / MPEG-4 output. If you want full 1080p output or those old fashioned DVDs, then you have to pay for a one month or one year or for a permanent license.

I used to use Cyberlink PowerDirector for GoPro. Some reviews claimed it was good. It was "easy" to use. Note the quotation marks. Both the software itself (feature set, user interface) and the tutorials sucked like a vacuum cleaner. I just hate it. You don't need fancy wizards. You need easy cutting. In points, out points, some basic transitions, maybe text. All this needs to be EASY to do a thousand times.

It's how you update the Gopro hero 2. So it's still free. Now if you want the full program with more features then you can buy it. However you don't really need the features so the free works fine for most people.

I currently switched from Corel video studio X7 to Magic 2015 (it has way better color grading) The only downside is corel renders faster. They're both pay programs.

For free windows movie maker (free if you have vista, Windows 7 or 8) Doesn't work on XP. Gopro Cineform is another option it works best with gopro stuff.

I use gopro cineform for timelaspes it's settings are quick and easy. I use corel for most of my video editing and magic if I want to improve the image quality by allot. Corel can do some but magic is like night and day. Now corel has mercille image stabalization which is much better then magics one so I use more then 1 program. I even have mercilla as a stand alone program as well it works better by it self if you want stabalized footage but it renders the video much faster in corel. I bought mutiple programs as I hate to wait. Magic render time 30 minutes corel is 20 for the same job. Cineform takes 30 for the same exact file for just converting it to another formate.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2015 at 07:02 PM ----------

Gopro studio is free. But I'd skip vista. Rater upgrade whole PC maybe....

You can just install windows 7 or 8 on it if you want to... It's not a big deal I have every version of windows on my pc at 1 time now it was running through vm (virtual machines) I have XP and 7 I tried 8 and didn't like it so I went back. I didn't mind Vista. The big complaints with vista was the crap machines they were selling with it that could barely run it but run xp fine. That was the big draw back i found if you look at the hardware there were allot of rubbish computers out there. Most people don't know the differences between cpu, ram, video cards ect they just see the price tag.

If your looking to upgrade your computer for video editing build a custom tower and raid hardrives. That increase speed the most. Cpu is a little most programs like cineform are all cpu. Magic, corel, preimuire and others can use the video card so with Nividia cards more cuda cores the better. Ati has Fire something as well. So a good card and fast hardrives makes a difference. Now if you have money to spend get SSD hardrives and raid some normal hardrives. I create a ram disk with ram I have 24gigs (you don't need more then 6) I put the files on the ram disk as it beats all hardrives out there for read and write speeds. SSD by it self is faster I have tried raided SSD normal hardrives and ram disk. Ram disk is fastest but turn the pc off it erases it. SSD was faster but the amount of space per price isn't enough all the time it fills up. So If I can fit the whole thing on a ram disk I do that if not I put it on SSD hardrives and write the video file to the ram disk instead then move it onto hardrives after it's done. I found that was the fastest way to edit stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom