video editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you can get a decent editing program like Sony Vegas Movie Studio for under $100, why use Windows Movie Maker if you want to get serious about editing? It will do for a few easy projects (as it was intended to be used for), but real editing tools are out there and not that expensive.
I temporarily bought power director, actually because movie maker was choking on the size of my video and wouldn't do final processing on it. Power Director had no problems, but it had a weird bug that I could never get any satisfaction out of their support to correct it, as the inital trial period approached I finally had to ask them for a refund as I didn't want to get stuck with it if they couldn't solve it. I'd try power director again, maybe by now they have updated it and the bug is gone.

My experience with Power Director has not been good in that if it works on your system with your content, then you are good, but if you have any problems, it's unlikely to get resolved. Not that they aren't interested in fixing it but typical experience was you are working with consumer grade camcorder content, the app crashes when encoding your project, so you report it and send them a sample of content. Their response was invariably that they didn't have a problem with it. Certainly there is an ocean of computers and configurations out there but I'm an experienced user and not trying to do a bunch of non-standard stuff and my system doesn't have a bunch of garbage on it, so it's a bit frustrating.

Also be aware that some of these software want to use the GPU to do encoding so it speeds it up. That's fine for quick encodes of where you are at in the project, but carefully check your output if doing a final encode. The quality is highly dependent on your video drivers and past reviews found poor quality compared to CPU only encodes.

Yep, that was typically what I went through with them, their support is not a good experience, it involves like you said going around in cirlcles with contacting back and forth uploading them what they want and round and round of uploading and contacting... the part I didn't care for was starting over 3 times from scratch with them for the same problem.

Nothing wrong with starting out with the free software. It might give you problems handling HD footage and you will be limited in what you can do. But since it is free, give it a shot.

If you find you want to make another video and take up the hobby, it will be worth it to spend $100 on editing SW. Your opinion on whats acceptable and decent might change when you see better videos.

As long as it tells the story?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Yes, telling a story is a big part of a good video. If you are happy with Movie Maker, that is great. When and if you want to get more serious, a $100 gets you much more powerful software.

That being said, plenty of people don't upgrade. If you are happy, that's all that matters. It's kind of like buying your 1st camera. You get a point and shoot. You take pictures and are happy with the results. Some people are perfectly happy with a P&S for their whole lives. Others want more capabilities and upgrade to something better.

Why spend so much money when you can get a decent video. For free. Movie maker... Dive & Guide Services a Lifestyle - YouTube

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

What kinda camera/lenses/lites are you using UW??/........tia.....

Mike...I'll ask the same to you...What kinda camera/lites/lenses did you use on that video you posted on page 1 ????.........tia......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom