Video Jobs - Help and advice please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vidiotic

Registered
Reaction score
Been a longtime videographer and would now like to do it as a living. Fully aware that the money is not superb but if I earn enough to live I would be happy with that.

I am finding it hard to find jobs that aren't internships though I have not discounted this idea fully however having done 1 internship a while ago ( On Koh Tao) I would prefer a straight out job.

Does anyone have any ideas of who I can contact that isn't on Koh Tao and provide any tips and advice of how to track down employment.

Did have a look at scubazoo however they seem to be after people under 30 which unfortunatley I am not.

Cheers

Vidiotic.

Research on the potential location is key. You need to find a location that has an active diving scene, but doesn't have an existing videography service.

Then you need to decide your operating costs - so that you can make an offer to a potential employer for consideration. You'd need to 'sell' the idea of how videography can benefit their existing business.

Alternatively, you can work self-employed, providing a freelance service to diving and non-diving businesses.

Either way, it will take a lot of preparation and 'sales ability'.

Tips:

Applying for direct work via Email.

1) Put together a demo DVD and also a demo of Youtube (copyrighted).
2) Put together a professional CV, including all of your diving and videography experience.
3) Email dive operations in your chosen location/s (link to the Youtube demo).

Applying for direct work in person

1) Put together a demo DVD.
2) Put together a professional CV, including all of your diving and videography experience.
3) Visit dive operations in your chosen location/s and present your CV and Demo DVD.

Developing work in person - freelance/self-employed.

1) Reseach potential locations to determine the market for a videographer.
2) If market exists (lack of competition etc), then offer freelance services to multiple dive centres and other businesses.
3) Offer services to other companies (promo videos, inc dry land) and tourism authorities.
4) Establish a reputation for quality and professionalism - get references and recommendations.
5) Create regional diving/ holiday DVDs which you can sell directly via the internet (website and/or ebay) and through local dive and tourist shops.

Back
Top Bottom