Video Light: DRIS Stubby or Archon D11V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I weighed my 2 main video lights. One is a SolarStorm D00 that I have added a holographic diffuser to. The other is an unmodified D11V. I like both, and they both have about the same apparent output and runtime (a little over an hour with good battery). In the photos you will note the SolarStorm has a clearish tailcap. That's because the anodizing was poor and it was shorting so I couldn't turn it off underwater. I cast a plastic replacement and it works great.

SolarStorm D00 weighs in at 11 oz. and uses a 26650 battery. This can be replaced with an 18650 in a sleeve, or 3 AA in a circular carrier. The front lens is screwed in with 4 screws which makes for a much better access to the front than the typical screw on ring. I'm guessing this light is of similar size and weight to the DRIS Stubby.

Archon D11V weights in at 6 oz and uses an 18650 battery only. Very brand specific battery needed - I use a Tenergy.

P1010046.jpg

No offense to DRIS - their stuff is GOOD and their lights are RELIABLE - my cost for the lights shown with batteries and a 26650 charger is about what the cost of a single Stubby, battery, and charger costs.

Thanks everyone for their videos/pictures.
I opted for the Archon D11V due to pricing. Read lots of great reviews of DRIS, but as a beginner to taking video underwater, I'd rather spend less as I play around. As I learn more, I will have a better idea of if I need a better light and will upgrade if needed.

Does the Archon fit in the intova torch or mini torch adapter?

Does the Archon fit in the intova torch or mini torch adapter?

Don't know, but it does snap into a slightly expanded piece of 3/4" sch 40 PVC pipe.

Remove about 1/3 of the circle, heat, and form to the light. Drill a bolt hole and countersink it, and you have a very effective snap in light holder. This works for most lights, just find the right diameter pipe to start with.

Back
Top Bottom