Video: Saturday dive at Point Lobos (3/20/2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian, That's a beautiful shot! I love metridium.
I just couldn't believe the extent of the Metridium fields up in Seattle when I visited TSandM.

Is that a snorkel? :shocked2:
If so it needs to find a place in a bin at home. :eyebrow:
You should also be able to find a black cover for your second stage. Someone might mistake it as the one they should be grabbing. What brand and model is it?

AHA! Somebody finally noticed... :)

That was our first dive, and I had to do some PADI training business on the way out to finish up my DM certification. That means snorkel-required - it was removed and stowed on the second dive.

The alternate is a cheapo Scubapro R295 octopus. I have a gray purge cover for an S600 left over that should fit - I just haven't put it on yet. That's mostly because I'm lazy, and planning to get another mk25/S600 in the near future to fill out my upcoming doubles rig. :)

That was our first dive, and I had to do some PADI training business on the way out to finish up my DM certification. That means snorkel-required - it was removed and stowed on the second dive.
DM cert is completed? Congrats! :cool2:
The rule is you have to have a snorkel with you right? But that doesn't mean it can't be in a pocket or strapped to your BP/W, either where you would store a backup light or bungeed to the side of your plate. :D

The alternate is a cheapo Scubapro R295 octopus. I have a gray purge cover for an S600 left over that should fit - I just haven't put it on yet. That's mostly because I'm lazy, and planning to get another mk25/S600 in the near future to fill out my upcoming doubles rig. :)
You just need to pull the pin and then unscrew the cover. Might need a spanner wrench if it is tight. Super easy and should take less than a couple of minutes. Laziness is never an excuse in my book :coffee: Only I can use that excuse :no:

DM cert is completed? Congrats! :cool2:

Thanks! Yeah, I thought about just bringing it in a pocket but it was a timed tow exercise on the surface (I chose the 'push') and I didn't want to waste my precious, precious breathing gas on such a lovely day. :D

I'll probably switch the cover tonight. I have some gear-related stuff to attend to anyway...

Update: No dice - the S600 purge cover is different shape than the R295. This might be a job for Black Sharpie until I get my second S600...

Last edited:
Great stuff as usual Ken!

I played hookey on the 12th and went to PL..totally blown out! At low tide the surge was almost coming up the ramp into the parking lot! I have never seen it so bad!
We had made plans and had a hotel res..so we went down even though we had our concerns?

Wine tasting in the Carmal valley was excellent though...:D

Drew

Great stuff as usual Ken!

I played hookey on the 12th and went to PL..totally blown out! At low tide the surge was almost coming up the ramp into the parking lot! I have never seen it so bad!
We had made plans and had a hotel res..so we went down even though we had our concerns?

Wine tasting in the Carmal valley was excellent though...:D

Drew

Sorry to hear that Drew! Sounds like you definitely made the right call though, and I think it's very important to always have alternate plans for the day. I have season passes to the Aquarium, which I'm always happy to use. What does everyone else do if the dive is blown out?

thanks for posting the video Gombessa! We're planning on diving that spot next month if the weather cooperates.

What does everyone else do if the dive is blown out?
I have a park pass, so I am more than happy to go for a hike at Lobos, or if on the North Coast whatever trail is nearby.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cypress Grove Trail.jpg
    Cypress Grove Trail.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 42
Update: No dice - the S600 purge cover is different shape than the R295. This might be a job for Black Sharpie until I get my second S600...

Hey Brian,

I picked up a gray purge cover for my R295 for about $12. You can just order one :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom