Video: Spearing Trip w/ 100days-a-Year: South Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A video of a recent commercial fishing trip out of South Carolina with SB member "100 days a year".

Everything was shot with a Go Pro Hero 4 mounted on a head strap. Sometimes not the most stable platform, but I think I got some cool shots.

We targeted lionfish, grouper and hogfish.

Solo dives with depths of around 110 ft, more or less. The vast majority of fish speared consisted of the invasive lionfish, however in order to avoid redundancy, this is not reflected in the video.

Nice haul. We're you able to retrieve the lion fish? Either way at least they're not on the reef any longer.

Good to hear from you again.

I think we left a few of the lionfish to float off. They will die anyway.

Yes I am back - served a long sentence and will try to avoid further penalties.

That particular trip was a commercial fishing operation - which means the fish are sold to a wholesale agent who then sells to restaurants and retailers.

Enjoyed the video...Over all well done but a lot could have been edited.....after a while I was bored

I would have liked to have seen a short snippet on the spear guns , points and pole spears.

Keep on posting ! Brings back memories ...

SDM

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I was using a simple aluminum pole spear with a paralyzer tip. The gun is a 120cm. Enclosed track from MAKO Spearguns and it uses a single flopper which is pinned directly to the shaft which eliminates a screw on tip and the associated weaknesses.

The video was kinda long and somewhat repetative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom