Views on playing with or harrasing marine life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So what do you think? Is it good clean fun or harrasing marine life to take an angle shark and grab it by the tale while it struggles and to hole on to it for a "ride" etc? See the video that prompts the question at: http://www.scubaschoolsofamerica.com/discuscgi/show.pl?13/13

it is a large file and is ziped.

Pretty much harassment in my eyes. Maybe giving it a nudge once or twice to prompt some movement for the camera but holding on to it and restricting it's movement is uncalled for.
Did you see all the gear on those guys?!?.. Those rigs were out of control..

I guess it's better than spearing it. No way that shark could "carry" that diver with the Hummer on his back. Imagine trying to shoredive with all that gear. It's fair game
if it's not explicitly stated otherwise (a marine park, etc). Just my opinion.

At first thought, I believed it would be OK to give marine life a little nudge to get them to move for your video. But...after watching that video, I would say that this level of contact would definitely be harrasment and seems inappropriate.

I think it's helpful for someone to see the video before deciding.

I'm not sure where you draw the line though. I think it's appropriate to take a ride on a Manta, but they don't seem to mind. I think it has to do with the level of distress that it causes the marine life.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with hunting which is, of course, causing the ultimate level of distress. I'm not sure where the line is crossed and look forward to seeing what others think.

Good topic.

Christian

I viewed it earlier today and I think they went way too far and that this is animal abuse. Hunting for food is something any predator does, but just messing with these creatures for one's own entertainment or for the camera is just wrong. What is even worse is posting it on a dive shop website for everyone to see. It sends out the wrong message to prospective divers. I am apalled - but not surprised.

My name is Manny. Megan and I think it's fine to hitch a ride now and then. Don't I have great hair?

:beret: :bigun2:

I totally disagree with harrassing marine life. People who catch puffer fish in order to blow them up are my greatest irritation - and I see that a lot in Japan. I don't understand why some seem to think that they have a right to totally stress other life - just for kicks. Why they can't just look and feel privileged to be there in the first place is beyond me. If you visit someone elses house - do you re-arrange their furniture and man-handle their family? I think not! So why do it U/W? I suppose some will say that it does no real harm - but how would they react if someone else messed with them - or their wife - or their kids? Live and let live - and do unto others as you would be done by!

There really should be a poll option between #1 and #2. There are many cases in which it's not only safe but fine from an ecological standpoint to handle marine life. Most photographers for instance (among the most ecologically conscious divers) routinely nudge and coax their subjects without adverse effects to the critters. Algae certainly doesn't give a rat who touches it, nor do many echinoderms and molluscs.

I touch and mess with stuff all the time. Just put in a bit o' time to learn about the critters.

Anybody messing with angel sharks is just asking to get bit someday.

I agree with other's coments, as posted, the poll served a function and sets a tone based on choices. It does leave many choices untouched though. :wink:

My feelings are, a light touch, that neither impedes nor causes trauma to a creature (of the sea or not) would not only be appropriate but can at times, be enlightening.

To see a creature up close, to feel the life (even through 7mm) is a wonderful experience. The creature must be free to fly, as it were, or simply being bored, choose to ignore. If I pick up something from the sea, I leave it free to move, I place it back where I found it, and touch only occasionaly anyway. Something special, not a constant source of entertainment.

Speaking of entertainment, it appeared those two divers were entertainment divers, i.e. oblivious to the beauty and wonder the seas offer, instead looking for thrills and entertainment, as they drag their cumbersome gear along the bottom. They miss so much. :11:

Just a thought
John

Randyp1234:
My name is Manny. Megan and I think it's fine to hitch a ride now and then. Don't I have great hair?
:beret: :bigun2:

Aw... that's just mean! Those two are both nice and friendly folks! Manny I admit can get a little over the top with the sharks and gators. I've only met him a couple times at the bar on Little Torch though.

Back
Top Bottom