Vintage diving...what was it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep it simple. Just add mask and fins. Go diving.

Attachments

• Nemrodadd.jpg
    Nemrodadd.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 100
Sears had a flashlight that had a led that would light up when the battery was dead. I kind of figured I could tell the battery was dead if I turned it on and the bulb did not shine. I figure my tank is empty when air don't come out of it any more.

N

it brings back some memories ..i also like to look around on vintagescubasupply.com

Last edited:
Reading this thread brought back some long forgotten memories. I had been away from diving for quite some time and started again a year ago. I started diving in the early 70's. Equipment names like WhiteStag, Farallon, AMF Voit and US Divers ruled. My first depth guage was a USD wrist mount capillary, what a conversation piece that would make aboard a dive boat today.

Reading this thread brought back some long forgotten memories. I had been away from diving for quite some time and started again a year ago. I started diving in the early 70's. Equipment names like WhiteStag, Farallon, AMF Voit and US Divers ruled. My first depth guage was a USD wrist mount capillary, what a conversation piece that would make aboard a dive boat today.

You have no idea, esp if you are also in a DH reg, old backpack and no BC. On Bonaire this year, I set up my reg like that then set on the opposite side of the dock to listen to the comments, some got quite interesting. Oh and they still rule. :)

I have just started to get interested in this style of diving myself.
I love the simplicity of it all and see it as a little bit like classic cars versus modern rubbish (which obviously have there uses)

I tried a simple dive last week with just a backplate, tank and single reg and it was great tho I was a little bouyant at the end of the dive so had to carry a couple of rocks. Just need to get my weighting sorted properly and then buy some proper vintage gear.

I have just started to get interested in this style of diving myself.
I love the simplicity of it all and see it as a little bit like classic cars versus modern rubbish (which obviously have there uses)

I tried a simple dive last week with just a backplate, tank and single reg and it was great tho I was a little bouyant at the end of the dive so had to carry a couple of rocks. Just need to get my weighting sorted properly and then buy some proper vintage gear.

If you think that is fun, wait until the bubbles come out behind your head!

it's even more fun if the dam co2 bottle gets fired

Remove the CO2 cartridge and plug with a 3/8 regulator plug. Besides, at depth it is much to do over nothing. N

I came in at the very end of what I regard as the "vintage" era - I had a single hose regulator, but no SPG and no BCD.

The main thing I remember (apart from the need to get your weighting right) was you dived pretty conservative profiles (except we didn't call them that). We didn't often go below 40 feet and you thought long and hard about going below 60 feet. There just a much more realistic risk you might be have to swim like buggery for the surface.

I remember reading about some guy diving on the Andrea Doria using a J-Valve in the 1960s, and he went to pull it and found it had already been pulled, so had to swim like a lunatic for the surface from 200 odd feet. I remember reading that and saying to myself that's why we stayed shallow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom