Vintage Gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis,
Thanks for the pic!

I am almost done replacing the exhaust valves (all 3) and am just about ready to dive it. The diaphragm is good, and I just received my Healthways manual from Vintage Scuba.

I am about to purchase a 2nd Healthway (for my wife) so we both can do some 'fun dives' together.

My Healthways looks to be in pretty darn good shape. I may even have one re-chrome plated this winter.

DIRWDH: Doint It Right With Double Hoses!

One thing about the double hose is that you have to wear it low on your back with the regulator between your shoulder blades. Scoot the tank band on the backpack up near the top of the tank. And swim in a slight head up position. That will get the regulator as close as possible to the level of your lungs and will make it easier breathing. Because you are wearing the tank low, is why you need a pull rod to trigger a J-valve. It's difficult to reach the valve when it's that low. That also why divers used to prefer to wear a set of short tanks rather than one long one.

Where do you take a regulator to be re-chromed and how much does it cost? That one you showed me a picture of doesn't need it. It looks pristine. A couple of mine show a lot of wear and were obviously used quite a bit. If they could talk, I would love to hear their stories.

D.I.R.W.D.H.

I found an online plater who does car and motorcycle works.

I'll PM you their name later when home...

Yea, the one I currently have looks great. Now if I can locate some 'spares' like diaphragms, etc. would be nice.

It sure is a simple unti to tune!

The 'DIR militants' on the message board will have you
believe that a guy NEEDS to have a backplate and wing to be a good diver. You'll hear all kinds of arguments about it being 'modular' and offering quick change-outs from singles to twins or less costly to upgrade, etc.

Lets consider the diver may be a novice and only diving to less than the normal recreational limit - 120 ft, or less. I have watched those 'techies' execute a beach entry dive to a depth of a mere 20 ft fully laden in a drysuit, 7 ft hose, twins, manifold, HIH light, etc. Vast overkill. Its all part of divers TRYING to emulate the hero's and be like them. Its part of the mindset that IF I buy that the gear, I'll instantly be emulsified into a super tech diver, capable of great feats and deep dives! Its because some says if you don't do it THIS way, your a stroke or a loser. Talk about an exclusive 'club' or 'click.' Jim Jones comes to mind when I hear this type of smack. Sadly, I too once fell into this mindset.

What they don't mention to is what goes along with that gear is expensive Nitrox fills, computers, stage bottles, drysuits, pee valves, annual tank inspections, HID lights, long hoses.

I have a buddy who got certified about when I did in 2002. He now owns twin OMS 98's, a HID light, two backup lights, a drysuit, two pairs of drysuit undies, a pee valve, two complete Poseidon regs. He called me to tell me yesterday that the last 4 times out on the boat he has been SO seasick and suffers from anxiety so bad that he hasn't been able to dive! Now he say's "I thinks getting into twins at this stage of my diving career with less than 50 dives was overkill. But all my buddies are diving twins. What if I wanna do a shallow beach or shore dive for just fun with a single tank? I don't even own a single AL80 any longer."

This is what’s happening all over the industry with divers. A $500 BC is better than a $250 BC. A drysuit will allow me to dive 12 months a year even if I'm NOT interested in diving 12 months a year. Nothing about what a pain a drysuit can be in 75 degree summer weather or while standing around chatting while doing your surface intervals w/o suspenders. Oops, now I NEED suspenders added and gaiters so I remain upright, and additional pockets on the sides of my drysuit!

I personally have read all the (+) and (-) arguments of the Great BC and Wing debate that SeaJay began long ago.

I personally have had nothing but problems with wings and backplates from Day One. Halcyon, OMS. Weighting, trim, buoyancy issues. This guys says 'Bungee wings are BWOD! This guys says you HAVE to have a Halcyon wing to dive correctly!:
The VERY thing that these pieces of gear were SUPPOSED to correct or prevent from happening was happening to me constantly!

I (and a dive partner from work) actually dove BETTER with our
fairly inexpensive Mares Syncro Power Tech jacket inflation BC's. It took me JUST one dive to correctly weight myself with that BC and I was diving like a champ. Then, I decided, I NEEDED a tech rig to dive better, deeper and carry more gear - you know, AL40 pony bottles, etc. because it 'looks cool' and now I have redundancy!

Along the way I began to contemplate "What constitutes 'fun' in diving?" A deep dive? A reef dive? A shallow dive?

Was the diver with 100# of gear doing a 90 minute to 70 ft non-have more fun than a guy doing a 25 ft reef dive? Was a deco dive or a Trimix dive more fun? or diving with twins?

I have had a lot more fun doing a dive to 50 ft
and enjoying the water, the sights, sounds, my friends etc. and not be inflating/deflating my BC or drysuit every 5 minutes.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm gonna be in my jacket BC with my Healthways double hose reg and out having fun!

Ahh, just like Cousteau or Sea Hunt! And, I can service that single stage double hose regulator in about a full 20 minutes when it needs parts replaced!

Now these vintage divers look like THEY are having FUN!

Actually, there was a GUE class at Ginnie last weekend. They were in the water when I dived vintage. They later told Wendy they liked my gear.

Some people will say that it is unsafe to dive with a simple j-valve,
back pack, and double hose because you don't have safety backups. Of course it depends on the complexity of the dive, but all the gauges,computers, back up air supplies, BC's, etc., that are supposed to increase safety can also add to the task loading a diver has to contend with. Instead of simply concentrating on his diving, his attention is divided onto all that other stuff. Plus, the extra items create added possiblities of high-pressure leaks, octopus free-flows, sticking auto-inflators, dead batteries, etc. I think that simplicity has its own safety factor because there is simply less that can fail.

My brother and I use twin 100's for cave diving. We did take the doubles on a dive boat once. It was murder trying to climb up the ladder to get back on the boat. The point of those big tanks is to increase safety by allowing a dual outlet/isolation manifold and more air. But, under some situations their size and weight can become counter-productive because you can very much increase your chance of injury while carrying them. A friend borrowed my twins and got a hernia (for real). I slipped and fell once while wearing them and it is amazing that I didn't break an arm.

D.I.R.W.D.H.

innappropriate content removed

Started diving in 1968 on an old Healthways single stage dual hose regulator. The tank was a steel 72 that sat in a net affair made of cotton straps sewn together. The shoulder, waist, and crotch straps met at the waist and all was held together by a wire buckle. Healthways mask from "K" mart ($3 new), Nemrod fins and Parkway wetsuit from Sears. I poured my own weights and my first weight belt said "Chevrolet" on the 'quick release' buckle.
That old regulator breathed so hard that I often left the water with my chest and stomach hurting from the effort. It was wonderful. Bill.

When I started diving in the late 50's two hose regs was all that was available. I dove my USD Aqua Master and J valve well into the 70's. I still have both and just finished overhauling it. I just bought a like new early 80's Scuba Pro stabalizing jacket and made an adaptor to hook it to the Hooka port on the Aqua Master. The stabalizing jacket is so compact its almost like using just a backpac. If I am not wearing a wet suit I don't use the jacket. And whats with the shallow water only with the vintage equiptment? We didn't dive shallow with it 35 years ago.

Captain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom