Vintage Gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captian,
Oops! Sorry!

Scuba snippet: Time-Life Magazine: The Andrea Doria was only 28 hours sunk when two divers, Peter Gimbel and Joseph Fox made a daring descent into her grave. There, at 160 feet, Gimbel took an extraordinary photograph of Fox clinging to the stern of a lifeboat tethered by lines but floating upended on the buoyancy of air chambers, bearing the name of home port to which the Andrea Doria would never return.

Interesting enough, Gimbel did this now-considerd highly 'technical dive' with an Voit double hose regulator - fairly 'primitive' by today's standards!

DIRWDH: Doint It Right With Double Hoses!

The higher breathing resistance with double hose regs creates the potential for more CO2 retention and higher levels of CO2 at depth predispose the diver to an 02 tox hit at lower PO2 levels than would otherwise the case.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
The higher breathing resistance with double hose regs ...

Hey, AquaMaster. Yesterday I dove with a 1954 AquaLung with no mouthpiece check valves. I took it to 90-feet in a freshwater spring with no problem. It breathed nice. Today I dove with a Mistral in the morning and and a Royal in the afternoon (these were all borrowed regulators). The Mistral amazed me. I swear that it didn't seem any harder to breath on than some single hoses I have, even in a head down position. It delivered a terrific volume of air. Then I tried the Royal. The Royal breathed as easy as the Mistral and delivered all the volume but with a steadier feeling delivery. Again, this was at about 80-feet. From my experience today, I think that it would be difficult to over-breathe a Royal AquaMaster and that 160 depth would not be a problem for it. Performance is not its limitation. It just does not have fittings for an octopus, a SPG, or an inflator hose.

Beyond regulator perfomance, the problems with the Andrea Doria would also be decompression, narcosis, thermal protection, backup regulators, and a bunch of other things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom