Virgin Gorda, BVI: Need dive operator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to Virgin Gorda in May 2005 and we are looking for recommendations or comments on the dive operators for Virgin Gorda. Dive BVI has come highly recommended. It looks like other than Sun Chaser located at Bitter End YC, Dive BVI is the only one servicing Virgin Gorda; is that correct? If Dive BVI is the only operator other than Sun Chaser, can anyone comment on the operation, i.e. what was service like, number of divers, the dive profiles, etc. Thanks in advance for all advice and comments.

Yes, there aren't many dive operators. The tourist business is at the resorts, and there are more rooms on bareboats than on land in the BVI's.
We've bareboated there several times (and it's a great way to go--actually we plan to go back again in May) Kilbride's Sunchaser is at the Bitter End. They have the first boat built specifically for diving, as this is where Mr Cousteau began his work. They aren't exactly warm & fuzzy, but very competent. Elaine is all business, and an excellent divemaster.

I think Dive BVI is at Leverick Bay now, too, but home base is Marina Cay. You can't go wrong with any of the operations. Your resort will probably make arrangements for you. You can also check with the dive shops to see if they'll come pick you up where ever you stay.

Lots of fish, good coral growth, a great place to spot the small stuff, too. We saw a slipper lobster last year, too.

Dee

The dives are easy, 40 to 60 feet. Viz is good, sometimes excellent. You'll have the dive sites to yourself at that time of year, other than the Rhone. Everybody has to do the Rhone, it seems. Our favorites are at the Dogs, right at Virgin Gorda. Depending on the seas, Alice is a great dive, so's Painted Walls, and Dry Rocks. Little current.

Go with Dive BVI. IMHO they are a better operator. I have dove with Kilbrides and was not impressed. I did not feel that they are competent and Elaine isn't someone i would care to dive with again.
Dive BVI's crew is great. I have dove with most of them and loved it. They are very safety conscience, but still have a great time. They also do more for you (if that's what you want) than Kilbrides.
I've got some pictures of diving with Dive Bvi up at webshots, if you want to see the boat or some of the sites. THe page is community.webshots.com/user/goodknight411

also check out Dive BVI's page at www.divebvi.com

goodknight411:
Go with Dive BVI. IMHO they are a better operator. I have dove with Kilbrides and was not impressed. I did not feel that they are competent and Elaine isn't someone i would care to dive with again.
Dive BVI's crew is great. I have dove with most of them and loved it. They are very safety conscience, but still have a great time. They also do more for you (if that's what you want) than Kilbrides.
I've got some pictures of diving with Dive Bvi up at webshots, if you want to see the boat or some of the sites. THe page is community.webshots.com/user/goodknight411

also check out Dive BVI's page at www.divebvi.com

Thank you. From which location did you dive with them? What size of boat? What was the determining factor for dive profiles (computers and air or set time and air)? Number of divers and DM's on boat? Thanks,

we dove out of Leverick Bay, but have dove with the DMs from Yacht Harbor and Marina Cay. The boat is brand new and fairly good sized, they have pics on the web page. They set a max time for the dive and keep a close watch on air. We had good long dives, but were on the boat with at least 700-1000 lbs of air everytime. During the dive brief the DM sets a max depth and time and air limit. They also let you know what the bottom looks like and what to expect on the dive. what to look for, what to avoid. During the dive they lead you, Let you putt around, do whatever. They cater to whatever type of diving you want to do, Photography, sight seeing, ect.

If you have more questions i would suggest emailing Kevin Jones, he is the manager out of Leverick and one of the best Instructor they have. His email is kevin@divebvi.com

They ususally have at least two DMs on the boat, and no more that 5 divers per DM. I always felt absolutly safe and confident with Dive BVI. their main concern is safety and enjoyment. All the DMs are instructors there and come from a wide variety of backgrounds.

If you have more questions, or i confused you in the above ramble, just PM me.

I've dove with DiveBVI. My advice..bring lots of money.

Natasha:
I've dove with DiveBVI. My advice..bring lots of money.

Natasha,

Aside from the cost, which I agree they are on the higher side of the price spectrum (I guess that's what happens when a dive op has a near monopoly on an island), any comments on the operation, the DM's, typical profile/procedures, etc.? Thanks,

There is another option, since the BVI's offers sailing and boating some of the dive operators offer rendezvous diving, ie they come to you. On our last trip there we used a company called UBS Dive Center out of Tortola. They arranged to meet us within a designated area, all we had to do is tell them where we were going to be. We selected UBS as we wanted a private theme. They have three boats (small) and were more than happy to take just myself and my wife. Relatively cost efficient.

Sean

Sean C:
There is another option, since the BVI's offers sailing and boating some of the dive operators offer rendezvous diving, ie they come to you. On our last trip there we used a company called UBS Dive Center out of Tortola. They arranged to meet us within a designated area, all we had to do is tell them where we were going to be. We selected UBS as we wanted a private theme. They have three boats (small) and were more than happy to take just myself and my wife. Relatively cost efficient.

Sean

Thanks. That's a great idea. Did they pick you up on Virgin Gorda?

Back
Top Bottom