Virgin Gorda, BVI: Need dive operator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tex,

To be honest, I can't remember that island specifically. They met us at Salt, Cooper and Peter for sure. They have a web site that does show the area that they service. It is fairly expansive and I will give them credit for being on time every rendezvous.

ScubaTexas:
Natasha,

Aside from the cost, which I agree they are on the higher side of the price spectrum (I guess that's what happens when a dive op has a near monopoly on an island), any comments on the operation, the DM's, typical profile/procedures, etc.? Thanks,

How's it going? Have you decided who you are using?

I would have to say you're right and DBVI. They pretty much have it locked up, since there isn't much competion for them to deal with.

They were fine. I wouldn't jump up and down over them. They did their jobs. Nothing outstanding about them, but nothing to complain about either.

Natasha:
How's it going? Have you decided who you are using?

I would have to say you're right and DBVI. They pretty much have it locked up, since there isn't much competion for them to deal with.

They were fine. I wouldn't jump up and down over them. They did their jobs. Nothing outstanding about them, but nothing to complain about either.

There are new managers on the site, personal friends of mine, if there is a problem, let me know and I will relay...they also look here at times.

ScubaTexas:
We are planning a trip to Virgin Gorda in May 2005 and we are looking for recommendations or comments on the dive operators for Virgin Gorda. Dive BVI has come highly recommended. It looks like other than Sun Chaser located at Bitter End YC, Dive BVI is the only one servicing Virgin Gorda; is that correct? If Dive BVI is the only operator other than Sun Chaser, can anyone comment on the operation, i.e. what was service like, number of divers, the dive profiles, etc. Thanks in advance for all advice and comments.

We dove With DIVE BVI in July and was very impressed with them. And we stayed at the Leverick Bay Resourt and was very happy with it. The service was fantastic and we had 5 divers on our boat. They will pair you up according to your diving ability. We have been diving for 14 years and have had lots of experience so our diving was great! We dove the RMS Rhone and did a 2 tank dive there. Kathy

Definitley Dive BVI. They're top of the line service, and are just generally great people. We started out with Kilbride's SunChaser, but wow-wee that was a mistake. Most of the people with sunchaser are complete and total jerks, IMO.

Also, DiveBVI recently got Nitrox, and they are the only ones in the area with it. Also, they got SeaDoo scooters, which would be great for the Chikuzen and Rhone.

Otter:
That's good to know. Thanks for the update. Will they be at DEMA next week?

ScubaTexas:
Natasha,

Aside from the cost, which I agree they are on the higher side of the price spectrum (I guess that's what happens when a dive op has a near monopoly on an island), any comments on the operation, the DM's, typical profile/procedures, etc.? Thanks,

that DiveBVI is by any means a monopoly, there are five dive operators that do VG...

UBS Dive Center
Blue Water Divers
Dive BVI
Sail Caribbean
SunChaser

the cost is the BVI in general and they don't generally attract the spring break crowd... the USVI is for those guys.

Im partial to Sail Caribbean Divers......but if you're staying on Virgin Gorda I too will recommend DiveBVI. I have dove with their Leverick Bay operation many times, they've been there for a while now, at least the mid 90s. Definitely try and dive the Chikuzen, excellent excellent dive. Also the Invisibles is real nice if the surge isnt pumping, and then All the dogs are really great as well. And all are short trips from Leverick or Spanishtown.

Back
Top Bottom