Visiting Charlotte, where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onca2002

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be visiting Charlotte on business in the middle of August, and have a day that I can blow off and want to go diving. I'll be leaving very early in the morning to get where I'm going, so the closer the better. Most of all, I really want to see a sand tiger!

Any suggestions on where I should go, who I should dive with, and what sites I should hit...keeping in mind I only have the one day there.

I'm aware of the conditions and depths and can't wait...

Looking forward to hearing your opinions...

Wilmington will be your closest dive departure site from Charlotte(though actually Myrtle Beach SC may be a shorter drive from Charlotte) but be aware that it is a 4 to 5 hour drive from Charlotte to Wilmington and most charter boats depart around 0730. Makes for a long day if you plan to drive down that morning. Hyde/Markum are the best bet for seeing a sand tiger and best weather bet.

I would second the recommendation for Aquatic Safaris, I have dived with them on several occasions and they are excellent. That time of year they may have afternoon charters running. Their website is very good as well - sorry no link but it should be easy to find. Have done the Hyde/Markam a couple times - good dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom