What dive sites should I visit in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StenieJ

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are splitting our time over the 2 weeks we are there and will be in Placencia & San Pedro. I've been trying to figure out logistically what dive locations we should dive in each Placencia & San Pedro. Blue Hole is not on our list. Would love to hear suggestions on where newbies should go. Plan to dive 3 days total. Will be arriving around April 20th, also going to spend time in San Ignacio.

Blue Hole is over-rated.
It's crowded with new divers, who kick up a lot sand in the shallows. Down in the blue hole it's like a snow storm as the sand filters down, can't see much.

Keep in mind you probably won’t get to pick the sites to dive. You can make requests, as can the other divers on board. And the crew may try to take requests into account, but will also be looking at where conditions are better, what dives they know are best, and where they haven’t already taken the other passengers earlier that week. They may pick based on experience of divers on board, and try not to take new (or new to them) divers someplace challenging right off. Some places may have a weekly schedule that they sort of follow.
So have fun learning about the dive sites, but usually you don’t need to get hung up on researching and trying to select dive sites in advance. Especially at this stage of your diving career in these locations.

We are splitting our time over the 2 weeks we are there and will be in Placencia & San Pedro. I've been trying to figure out logistically what dive locations we should dive in each Placencia & San Pedro. Blue Hole is not on our list. Would love to hear suggestions on where newbies should go. Plan to dive 3 days total. Will be arriving around April 20th, also going to spend time in San Ignacio.
You might consider Banco Chinchorro. Great place for wreck diving. If you do, say Hi to "Marianne", our beloved sailboat that I drove onto the reef at night and sank on my wife's birthday 45 years ago with her onboard (we're still together). I understand there are five dive operators servicing Banco Chinchorro.

My experience is that the trip to the atolls is worth it. Everywhere we dove was good or great, but Turneffe and Lighthouse atolls were exceptional. Blue Hole was ok, but the other two dives that day were spectacular!

You might consider Banco Chinchorro. Great place for wreck diving. If you do, say Hi to "Marianne", our beloved sailboat that I drove onto the reef at night and sank on my wife's birthday 45 years ago with her onboard (we're still together). I understand there are five dive operators servicing Banco Chinchorro.
Poor Marianne!

I dove off Glover's atoll and it was fantastic - it's the only diving in Belize I've done, but one of my top trips ever.

San Pedro dive sites are close by. Placencia are a fair ride out.

t's crowded with new divers, who kick up a lot sand in the shallows. Down in the blue hole it's like a snow storm as the sand filters down, can't see much.
Unless you dive with Huracan dive lodge and are the first in the hole. Then it's pretty amazing!

Back
Top Bottom