Solo trip to Belize in November - any shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsqdvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a solo trip (wife not coming this time) to Belize this November. It will be my first time there and I could use some dive shop recommendations from anyone who has been there recently. I plan to dive Nitrox for all dives. I’ll be there Nov 3 through the 9th, staying in San Pedro (Blue Tang Inn for 2 days then Xanadu for 4 days). I do plan to do an all day trip to the Blue Hole and maybe to Lighthouse. I would like to do closer stuff on other days. From the 9th to the 13th I’ll be at Caves Branch to do some waterfall jumping and cave tubing. Any and all recommendations appreciated!

Look into one of the Aggressor boats. Liveaboards work out well for those of us who travel solo. Belize is one of the Caribbean trips I plan to repeat in the future.

Chuck and Robbie’s and Belize Dive Adventures are two good shops right in San Pedro. Ramon’s Village Resort probably has the nicest dive boats in San Pedro, but it sounds like you are staying elsewhere already. I’m not familiar with any of the shops north of the town center, so can’t make any recommendations there. Most of the resorts have a dive shop they work with, so you could try reaching out to them to see who they use.

Look into one of the Aggressor boats. Liveaboards work out well for those of us who travel solo. Belize is one of the Caribbean trips I plan to repeat in the future.
I looked in to Aggressor first but I begged off after seeing the "Solo Diver Surcharge". $5800 for 7 days was expensive, but I was willing to do it until I saw that they charge a 60% surcharge because I was going to be by myself. No options to try to pair me with another diver. $10,000 for a week? I figured I could find better options...and I did.

I looked in to Aggressor first but I begged off after seeing the "Solo Diver Surcharge". $5800 for 7 days was expensive, but I was willing to do it until I saw that they charge a 60% surcharge because I was going to be by myself. No options to try to pair me with another diver. $10,000 for a week? I figured I could find better options...
Maybe talk to a person before you write it off. As far as I know the surcharge is about not sharing a cabin.

I'd revisit aggressors if you're ok with a liveaboard. I've done BAIV 4 times (loved it every time) 3 of them solo. If you're willing to share a room with a stranger then there is no single supplement, and you may luck out and get a cabin by yourself. I like the "pay for seven get 10 days" trips. 7 days is just not enough for me. I think BAIII is the only one offering the 10 for 7 trips now.

As far as San Pedro goes... My daughter lives there. I didn't like it. In my experience the diving without making the long boat rides to lighthouse was mediocre. The beaches except for Secret Beach were indifferent. Lots a better places in Belize and elsewhere than San Pedro.

Was just there in February, go to the blue hole with amigos Del Mar. do some reef dives with scuba school and family dive center. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: you should be able to schedule all your diving through Xanadu if you want to for convenience.

I'd revisit aggressors if you're ok with a liveaboard. I've done BAIV 4 times (loved it every time) 3 of them solo. If you're willing to share a room with a stranger then there is no single supplement, and you may luck out and get a cabin by yourself. I like the "pay for seven get 10 days" trips. 7 days is just not enough for me. I think BAIII is the only one offering the 10 for 7 trips now.

As far as San Pedro goes... My daughter lives there. I didn't like it. In my experience the diving without making the long boat rides to lighthouse was mediocre. The beaches except for Secret Beach were indifferent. Lots a better places in Belize and elsewhere than San Pedro.
I tried that but they said no. It was pay the single supplement or no dice.

Was just there in February, go to the blue hole with amigos Del Mar. do some reef dives with scuba school and family dive center. Let me know if you have any questions.
I agree with going to Blue Hole daytrip with Amigos del Mar.

It is very likely that Chuck and Robbie's (near to Blue Tang Inn) and Reef Dive Adventures, right on the dock in front of Blue Tang Adventures, will send you on Amigos boat, even if you do all of your other diving with either of them.

Be that as it may, Amigos is an easy walk from Blue Tang, and you can check out their overall operation yourself.

If you will still be daily diving once moved down to Xanadu, whichever dive op you are using will pick you up and drop you off, at dock closest to Xanadu (sorry, can't recall off top of my head whether or not Xanadu has a dock right there but I'd be very very surprised if they don't!

While you are down at Xanadu (which I'm sure that you will love, wander down to check out Mata Rocks Resort too. Have a drink at their Squirrel Bar and get them to show you a couple of their rooms.

You have picked 2 of my favourite hotels in San Pedro.

If you have a day free, take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker. Who knows, you may much prefer the more quiet, slow pace on that island.

Back
Top Bottom