Viton vs Nitrile O-rings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I (clearly) don't know either way, phosgene does sound like a more reasonable byproduct than phosphine.

As far as I know nor viton, nor epdm or nitrile contains chlorine in its main composition. So phosgene is probably out, too.

Couv, You are way too kind. Your knowledge of oxygen and O-rings is rapidly exceeding mine.

It was Phosgene...and degradation of any Chlorine containing compound, in the presence of Oxygen can produce it, as well as several similar nasty compounds. The floride version of that compound is also not any fun.

Is it a danger in SCUBA? Well, no. First because Viton is a fluoropolymer and second because the rate it degrades is so slow. if I was in the plant that made viton, and there was a fire, I would try to leave very quickly.

Also, I know you know this, but Viton is not a single compound, it is a family of them, and they have lots of different properties.

The down side to Viton has been that it is just an ok elastamer...repeated compression and release will damage the material much faster than say EPDM...the upside is that it is far more O2 resistant. That down side happens to make it much better for things like tank valve O-rings and not as good for valve O-ring (although replacement is easy). When talking different materials, durometer numbers do not tell the whole story regarding extrusion issues, as viton is much harder to extrude versus EPDM of the same durometer.

Aircraft, by the way, have very different requirements for their static O2 delivery systems, and one would be advised to not try and copy them. (although the military view makes more sense to me, but the materials are very difficult to get in our world)

Due to the dynamic nature of SCUBA equipment and the need for frequent replacement, I don't see any reason to not use a good Viton O-ring, but people sure to like to play with their equipment.

....here we go again. I'll leave it to Puffer Fish to explain the advantages and disadvantages of FKM, EPDM, etc in the different applications mentioned here as he is indeed a true expert. But time and time again I see the statement, "for oxygen systems the aviation industry uses Nitrile/NBR/Buna N, etc." I've never worked in General Aviation so I cannot say for sure what puddle jumpers use, but on the military and commercial aircraft I've worked on I can say that most GOX (gaseous oxygen) system connections are metal on metal. The flexible seals I have come across in O2 systems have been Teflon or MS9385 (Mil Spec) which is Silicone! Military O-Ring MS9385 Mil Spec O-Rings

I cannot post proprietary info, but here is a PDF file I found online for a Boeing 737 O2 system just downstream of the bottle.
http://www.aerosup.com/Document/35/B737-300-400-500-ATA-CHAPTER-35-PART-2.pdf

Scroll down to page 57 item 55

I also don't know where this business of phosgene (or was it phosphine) gas came into these discussions. If FKM o-rings produce a toxic gas, it would have to be at a temperature high enough for me to believe one would have bigger problems.

Cheers,

Couv

Although I (clearly) don't know either way, phosgene does sound like a more reasonable byproduct than phosphine.

What is your deffinition of reasonable? Phosgene gas is one of the chemical weapons that was used in WWI. Had a great track record for battlefield casualties.

What is your deffinition of reasonable? Phosgene gas is one of the chemical weapons that was used in WWI. Had a great track record for battlefield casualties.

I believe "reasonable" in this case refers to what compound could by made by degrading O-rings. Under the right conditions, they could degrade to make some Carbonyl difluoride (the fluoride version of Phosgene)..but not from normal room temperature use.

Phosgene was also used (when I was a kid, a very long time ago) to kill insects for collections. Some rubber bands, some carbon Tetrachloride and you get phosgene. Why it was important for grade school kids to learn how to make Phosgene is still unclear to me, but it was a very common practice.

If I'm not mistaken NASA uses liquid oxygen and the stability is a little bit different. Nuff said there. There is however a reason bulk O2 tanks (welding or any other use) is limited to 2200 psi. Combustibility increases with the pressure. The physics of this relates in several areas here and includes p.p. blending in tank. Different scenarios create issues, basically the higher the pressure, the more combustible. A bend in the line, curved or 90° or any combination there of creates greater friction with increased pressures. Can you think of anything like this in a tank? Often the internal portion of the valve is the most overlooked and often just the orings located at the neck and regulator connection (din being more popular for higher pressures) are only considered. Just another reason to replace to burst disk at least every time it's hydro tested. While I'm on a soap box there are no real requirements for visual inspection. I mean the dive industry generally accepts responsibility however there are no hardened rules requiring this be done. Nor is there any required formal training. With something so dangerous why is this?

Back
Top Bottom