Viz in the 1000 Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since approx one month, I noticed that the viz in the St-Lawrence is very crapy. I did, the Fred Mercure, the eastcliff, Lock 21, 23 and Ivy Lea Campground.

Is it because of the very low water level?

Since approx one month, I noticed that the viz in the St-Lawrence is very crapy. I did, the Fred Mercure, the eastcliff, Lock 21, 23 and Ivy Lea Campground.

Viz always sucks at the Fred McCur due to the silt.
Viz usually sucks at the Eastcliffe and the Locks in June/July/Aug due to algea and particulate.

The closer you are to Cornwall the worse the visibility is in general. Rain also has a huge effect on visibility in the river.

If you want good viz dive in September/October/November after the algea dies off.

Yeah, with the rain we had about 6ft vis last weekend at Lock 21 (I almost felt like I was diving in the tropics last night at the quarry with a good 25 ft or so :D), I'm hoping it's a little better Saturday when we're doing the Galop Canal / Conestoga.

Follow up - was diving at Rockport on Sunday (close to Ivy Lea) water temp was mid 70s & we had a good 20 to 40 ft vis.

Viz this season has really sucked. Have been asking the locals and the answers have varied from low water levels (locks are kept closed) to warm water and rain. (How is it rain, there haven't been much and obviously water levels are low due to not so much rain?? Heh) I think it is the heat (low water), all the cooties are growing in the warm water, current is def down and not driving the coots out.

But people who have been diving longer say it's the zebra mussels dying out. They were the guys that were clearing the viz in the first place. Apparently the viz is just returning to normal pre-zebra times as gobies or what-not are taking over.

I have enjoyed the current being more mellow on the 3 visits I've made this far for 2010 but have not had 40ft viz yet. I certainly enjoy the tropical water.

Poor vis and high current on the Jodrey last week.

The days of 30 metre plus vis seem to be a thing of the past. Lots of critters in the water too. Use ear beer pre and post dive, folks!

Back
Top Bottom