VOIT depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an old AMF VOIT Bourdon tube depth gauge that I can't seem to get working. I've disassembled it and cleaned it, and the mechanism moves freely, but it doesn't move underwater. It's tick-marked in 5 ft. increments with markings going from 0 to 250, with ten tick-marks between 0 and 50. So far, I've had it to 30 ft. and the needle doesn't move at all.

Any suggestions?

Most of the old gauges weren't liquid filled with a seperation diaphragm to keep water out of the bourdon tube. More than likely the tube is plugged with salt and corrosion, almost impossible to clean.. Best used as a display piece or pretend gauge.

Nemrod made a fake Sportways Navy pretend gauge from a US Divers watch case and a picture of the face of a Sportways Navy gauge, looked pretty real and on the surface it was dead accurate.:rofl3:

I used a hypo and injected white vinegar into the inside of the Bourdon tube. I let it sit for a couple of hours, then rinsed it out. The passage seems to be clear. The only way to test it, though, is to dive it. I'll try it out next weekend and see what happens.

Most of the old gauges are horribly unreliable. I would not sue one for anything but show. There are a few exceptions, some of the diaphragm Voit gauges, the Scuba Pro Helium gauge, perhaps a few others are accurate and reliable.

The little Taylor made cheapo Voit gauges actually worked. The open tubes would frequently clog with sediment or verdigris or even the strap would occlude the opening. Now, accuracy, plus or minus 10 feet, yeah, OK.

N

I put the business end of a bicycle pump against the vent on the gauge and pumped air into it. The needle moved easily, so I think I might have got it working again. If I use it, it will be in conjunction with a capillary depth gauge, which I trust.

Basically, I just wanted to get it working again. I'll find out next week if it works in water.

After use, in saltwater, rinse the tube out best you can and soak it in freshwater. I used one for shallow diving for years with no issues. N

I used an early 70's vintage Voit DG6 depth gauge (orange face, made in W. Germany) on a deep dive to 175ffw, and was surprised to see that it was only off around 8-10' from my computer. It read a bit deeper, which may have been from the saltwater calibration.

Greg

Mine is a DG5C with a compass overlaid over the gauge face. If it works in water, I'll compare it at various depths to my capillary gauge.

I am late to this thread too. Captain, my depth gauge is dead on at the surface too, that was too funny. I think I will start wearing it as an anachronism.

My Dad treated me to a full set of dive gear when i got accepted into West Point in 1977. He took me to the famous Richards Aqua Lung in Times Square NYC. I still have all the same stuff and never lost any of it. (good training for Ranger School).
100_3199.jpg

100_3200.jpg I attended West Point's prep school (USMAPS) on the Jersey Shore where i got certified. I still dive the White Stag back back (and it still fits).

Last edited:
Just got back from a quarry dive over in Ohio. I was trying out my new Oceanic Veo 100 and my son took the VOIT depth gauge and my Healthways capillary gauge down and we checked the VOIT out. At 30 feet, the VOIT read 31 feet and the capillary read 30 feet. So, I guess I finally got the d****d thing working.

Back
Top Bottom