Volo vs. Jet Fins????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPX28

Reaction score
I am in the market for some new fins and ( i think) I have narrowd it down to paddle fins as opposed to splits,unless anyone has something good to say about them.
Anyway narrowed it down to volos and jet fins. if anyone has oponions or experiances, id apreciate the advice.

I mostly do beach dives and yearly trips to catalina. I use multiple kicks including frog,its easier on my ankles, and am looking for little easier kick. I currently have some 7 year old scuba pro paddles(decent sized) and their just too tough for me to kick now

Thanks in advance
MY ACHING LEGS!!

Hello,
I’m new to the whole scuba deal but I have a pair actually my g/f and myself both have a pair of volos. We use them all the time for snorkeling in Jersey, Florida, and the Bahamas and we love them. They have Quick propulsion and to us they seem very easy and we don’t need to exert a lot of power to keep up with the group they are just an excellent fin IMO. It did take us a while to figure out how to use them properly about an hour or two in the water. We were not divers when we bought them but we were snorkeling using cheap sets from sports authority and going no where so we went to our LDS and talk to them and they recommended the volos for both snorkeling and that they were excellent for scuba if /when we were ready to take the class. I have heard and read some people don't like them but as for me being a big guy with a bad ankle and knee (twisted them up bad when i was a youngster)I don't get that leg/ankle fatigue like some people have said either does my g/f and she is small and petite and she is cruising along under the water like she belongs their (kind of funny actually). I did try the split fin when we were doing our pool class and did not like them I could tell the difference when I was just kicking in the water. Again this is just my opinion.

Well, I bought Volo's to begin with and thought they were great... Until I tried a pair of turtles (similar to jets). I do frog kick pretty much all the time. The power you can get out of jets/turtles is drastically different. Volo's work fine for a low effort flutter kick, but that's about it. You can't get speed out of them, they just bend more, and frog kick, they do it, but not very well in comparison.

If you're just putzing around, Volo's work, but after wearing my turtles for awhile, I tried the volo's out of curiosity, and they're now permanently parked.

On another note, if you're looking for a pair, I have some sitting in my closet with spring straps that you can buy from me.

Just noticed, please say you aren't looking at twin jets.

volos the H.U.B of fins.

I think you will find that the more experienced divers on the board will mostly tell you to go for the jets, I use lots of different types of fins, but tthe jets are without a doubt the classic of all fins.

OTOH Volos look really great to someone who is looking for something that looks really great!

I got a pair of jets second hand in 1980 they have many many thousands of dives now, and I still use them cave diving every weekend. They are still like new.

Just my 2c

Recently Bought a pair of Volo Powers....love them. lots of power yet feel like there isn't anything on your feet.

I have ankle injuries from my college gymnastics days and usually experience lots of ankle fatigue when flutter kicking.

With the volo powers I am able to kick anyway I want or need with no stress on those old injuries.

Hey BCSean,........ Love the avatar.......

which one is you????

:wink:

We also have a pair of Volos sitting in the closet. Like bcsean stated, they are good for low effort flutter, but that's about it. Couldn't get any power or frog kick. Just too floppy. Perhaps the Volos requires some special technique to get them to be responsive. If you're considering Volos, try them in the water and see how you like them.

Okay, actually, I share custody of the jets. They are opposite ends of the paddle spectrum. Anyway, I use each for a different purpose: the jets fit over my drysuit boots and give me the extra oomph needed with my drysuit. The Volos I use diving wet, and I get good power/speed with them. I haven't had any problems using alternate kick styles with them. They feel like they are not even there.

If it is possible, you might want to try out both and see what works for you.

I forgot to mention, I've kinda messed up my knee badly twice now. I still have no problems with the turtles. Hiking down to some shore dive sites is another story. Doing frog kick properly is actually very little effort for the propulsion you get out of it, and to be honest, the volo's can't do it. The stiffness just isn't there.

Cancun Mark, I'm the one in black of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom