Volos or Tusa X-pert splits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnb2b1

Registered
Reaction score
I use a pair of Volos but wanted to get another set of fins has anyone used the tusas. I like the Volos but wanted to try a new fin. Plus The Volos and the Tusas both look pretty cool.

The cool factor comes into play.

Well, looking cool is really the big picture here anyway right?

Have a pair of Volos..........love them in the water but IMO they tend to cause the diver to use a fin stroke that leads to a heads up position...for me and my wife anyway. Hard to explain. It's due to the mechanics of the hinged fin. Next time you see someone diving with them watch them.

Used Zooms, they were pretty cool and liked them ok but IMO they are more trendy than useful.

Try the Atomic Splits. Very nice fin if you are dead set on splits.

If your really wanting to be cool, with it, down, fresh and/or phat.............

GO JET FINS

Like anything else....some like them some dont...and "them" can be anything.

I have tusa zooms and dont like them. To me...not good in currents. I have
Mares Avantis and they work great in anything. Would love to try some
Dacor Tigers and Force fins...but havent had the chance.

I have tried the Atomic Splits and I did like them but could not feel that much difference between them and my volos. I would like to try the apolos though, hear they are sweet.

Need cooler colors though!!

I just got some Tusa Split fins for my wife, but we haven't had a chance to test them out yet. She has had a hard time keeping up with me and my Blades in the past. (She had been using some junk Dacor Pursuit fins that she bought for their looks when we got certified.)

I'd say go for the Volos... or rather the newer Volo Power fins (or Volo Race if you prefer full-foot fins) ... what's the difference between the original Volos and the Volo Power? The original Volos had a few problems with some batches breaking at the hinge. The Volo Power tries to solve this by extending the center V-channel all the way up, close to the foot pocket... reinforcing the hinge area a bit.

I have the Volo Race fins (full-foot) ... and recently switched to the ever reliable Jetfins. Despite all the hype of the Jets, I did find that they are slower than my Volos when using the flutter kick. I can go fast with Jets... but not as fast as with the Volos. Frog kicks with the Volos however is another story, although faster than most other fins out there, they are much slower than the Jets when using the frog-kick. And forget about reverse frogs or other weird kicks on the Volos. They are much too soft. But I have to admit, Mares' hinge and channel thrust technology is very evident with the Volo... I can sustain higher speeds much longer on them than with any other fin I've tried... and mind you, I'm biased towards Jets now that I'm preping to take my DIR-F class.

I think my Tusa's are great. They must complement my style of kicking. The first time I wore them I was at the quarry. I did the first dive in my old fins (crappy no names that the LDS sold me when I got re-certified). My girlfriend had no problems staying up with me. On my second dive I pulled out the Zooms.... I kept having to stop and wait for her to catch up. Same amount of kicking effort, but twice as much speed. I have dove with them several more times and I am very happy with my purchase.

The one downer I just bought a drysuit and my boots won't fit into my Zooms :ne_nau: I already have the biggest size so I have to buy another brand.

BTW: I bought the all black ones. They have the "stiffer blade compound than other colors" -Tusa. And you're right they look cool too. And since I have the black fins to go with the rest of my all black ensemble I look like I'm DIR even though I'm not.

I have tried several split fins and settled on the TUSA because they felt good for the diving I do some of the time, dives where I’m moving allot not sitting taking pictures (for those dives I use Force fins). I like their size they are much shorter than many of the other split fins. I have used other TUSA products (masks, regs) and found them to be good value and quality.

I dive with others with other brands of split fins and find mine are as powerful. I don’t ever cover large distances when I dive. I cruise about.

I don’t use the stiffer ones but may have bought them if I had seen them when I was getting mine.

I love my tusa's too. I've never had a problem with them. A frequent complaint about them is that they suck in a current, but I've never experienced any more problems than anyone else in a current.

Back
Top Bottom