Volunteer clean-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now and then I read about a group who have organized a clean-up of a reef or such. I think that that would be a nice way to contribute to the environment and spend a few days diving. Anyone know of anything going on around the southern coast that would be interesting?

Besides the water temp and probable viz, why go south for a cleanup dive-- there are likely opportunities close to home!
Our local dive club does clean-up dives in the Windsor, Ontario area on occasion. Usually done at local beaches or popular boating destinations around Earth Day (before the recreational boaters get out).
Altough I wasn't able to make the 2007 cleanup dive, the one I did do was a load of fun. The amount of garbage brought up is really quite amazing (tires, bottles, beer cans, etc. I even retreived a rusty old gas barbeque).

Most local groups/clubs organize them. No need to head south, athough your company would be welcome,

My son and I did this one last weekend: Texas Gulf Coast Council of Dive Clubs

It was a hoot. I've done it about 8 or 9 times, but it had been years since the last one.

Go to the 2006 photos link to see what is was like last year, or head "up" to the TGCC parent link for additional info.

Reason I would want to go south is that I can't stand cold weather or water and I go to Ft. Lauderdale every month so it would conincide with my travels. Anyway there are no reefs in Ohio to speak of.

I took part in one in Germany run through our LDS. We cleeaned up a few local lakes. WOW what a great time and a feeling of accomplishment.

Yeah, I looked into "REEF" some time back. I don't really feel like 'paying them' a couple grand to help clean up some foreign reef which they are probably getting donor money to do in the first place.

That would be if you are going on one of their trips. Gonna cost ya close to the cost to go on the trip anyway. I'm sure they tack on something though, don't all nonprofits? I think they're based in the Ft Lauderdale area though and might have something local for ya to do if ya asked and were already there?

I was looking at one of their trips to Guanaja a while back. Not only did they want you to pay your own way down and back but around 2 grand to stay for a week or so in a place that reminded me of a CCC camp. No thanks.

There are a number of clean up dives in Florida. The Palm beach one is being rescheduled for November. There was one last weekend in Ft. Myers, and they will try again in the spring. Then there is the OceanWatch clean up that ScubaBoard has participated in 4 years in a row in Pompano Beach, about the first weekend in June. Also there are plenty "little" clean ups.
Of course, if everybody took some trash every time they dived, I can only imagine how much cleaner the reefs would be!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom