~~ Volunteering Sabattical Year ~~

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings Fellow Divers

I am a new diver from near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Instead of buying a motorcycle or muscle car for my mid life adventure I decided on scuba diving instead. :shocked2:

I am currently planning a one to two year travel and volunteering sabattical. Leaving Canada in 2011 travelling through the northern USA, then east to Wisconson and south to Texas entering Mexico and ultimately arriving in Quintana Roo. Suggestions on must see places and dive spots in the USA would be great! Suggestions on travel routes through Mexico that are safe for a single woman to traverse.

My plan is to volunteer with many conservation efforts in Mexico, venturing into Belize, Honduras and Costa Rica. The Global Vision International's Marine Research and BTEC Biology Technical Survey Course looks promising. Anyone have any insights into this program? Or suggestions on other programs?

I assume by completing this course it will assist me in being a better volunteer with other conversation projects in Mexico, Belize, Honduras and Tortuguero National Park in Costa Rica. I have a pretty eclectic mix of interests. My degree is in History, Geography and Environmental education, though I do not work in this field. I would also consider volunteering at an archaeological dig. Although all of GVI expeditions looks amazing, they are costly. I am looking for volunteering that is more affordable. I would consider working privately perhaps on a yacht to help finance this adventure. Any suggestions on organizations looking for volunteers? Any North Americans living in the area willing to offer short term jobs?

Being from a Canadian Prairie province, I am having difficulty finding any books on Caribean marine life identification & basic marine biology. Any title suggestions? The Amazon list is just too big, and I don't want to spend $100 on a book to find out its not really what I am after.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and insights. Open Water and Nitrox done! Now on to drysuit :mooner: Happy Diving!

Julianna (Julie)

Hi Julie,
If you stop by the Florida Keys for some reef diving all year round, check out EcoKeys- we offer direct participation in coral restoration, fish counts, and other volunteer conservation research opportunities. PADI specialty certifications available. Call us at 877-99-GO-ECO for more info or check out our website at goecokeys.com Happy Diving!

Back
Top Bottom