Vortex 3-18-2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grace, et al;

Radio waves do not travel well under water. They are reflected off of solid objects (walls, floor) and are dissipated in a very short time.

Submarines communicate with very low frequency waves. The antennas that pick up these signals are miles long.

So, the warning system won't work. That is why the buddy is so important, so if you do get stuck, they can help.

Wish I could give you more hope. Please remember that we are all given Free Will by our Maker.

Just additional information:

I have just found out that Larry was fully certified to be doing what he was doing, and that he was always a very careful diver. I realize when reports come out that everyone will still be wanting to analyze everything, but (and please I hope I do not offend any of you - everyone here has been awesome to me!).. but, if all things were in order, I guess the thing to remember is that sometimes even when you have it all together, s#it happens. I know you all love what you are doing and I do so respect that. But please, if you have small kids.... wait....

I have just found out that Larry was fully certified to be doing what he was doing, and that he was always a very careful diver. I realize when reports come out that everyone will still be wanting to analyze everything, but (and please I hope I do not offend any of you - everyone here has been awesome to me!).. but, if all things were in order, I guess the thing to remember is that sometimes even when you have it all together, s#it happens. I know you all love what you are doing and I do so respect that. But please, if you have small kids.... wait....

Thank you for being so understanding, Grace! :hugs:

Sometimes, bad things just happen. We Monday morning quarterback the outcome, and make the pledge to not make the same mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its important for everyone to understand that being full cave does not mean you are qualified to do all cave dives. Some are inheirently more difficult and riskier than others and this particular one is bad. It takes many many hours to progress to that. Having a full cave cert is still a learners permit. those who stick around usually progress slowly and dive a lot. I too appreciate you Grace for coming here and giving us information.

Grace, I appreciate your bravery in posting here and feel for your loss. I don't want to imagine the experience.

Is it possible to tell us what those certifications were? I am less interested in seeing the name of the agency, but rather if the card said Full Cave, Cave DPV, Tech 1, Trimix or stage cave. I guess there would actually be a pile of cards with different tech qualifications.

I agree that sometimes your time is just up and respect your views. Still you will find the cave community will pour over the details to see if we can learn anything further that might one day save one of our lives.

In case the link goes dead in the future:

above URL:
Diver dies at Vortex Spring
March 19, 2012 03:42:05 PM
ShareThis| Print Story | E-Mail StoryCECILIA SPEARS / Florida Freedom Newspapers
Twitter: @WCN_HCT
PONCE DE LEON — A Biloxi diver died in Vortex Spring on Saturday — almost a year-and-a-half later after a Memphis, Tenn., diver disappeared in the same underwater caves.

Larry Higginbotham, 43, of Biloxi, Miss., had gone to the spring on Saturday at 10:45 a.m., said Chief Deputy Harry Hamilton and Sgt. Michael Raley with the Holmes County Sheriff’s Office.

“When he didn’t return his girlfriend contacted the Vortex Springs management, who in turn contacted the Holmes County Sheriff’s Office,” Hamilton said.

Hamilton said that with the aide of volunteer cave divers the body was recovered Sunday evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom