Vortex Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I live, do my newly expanded lungs have any benefit?

Can I hold my breath longer? :D

I believe there was a UA student in Tuscaloosa that had a lung overexpansion issue in the last 2-4 years. he was in a pool, so at a shallow depth.

18ft pool. Also a fatality.

Seems like a perfect instructor's defense is "he held his breath", which violates the first three rules in diving. Sadly, I think it was alleged that the instructor was at the other end of the pool, and had students observing students, which might have affected legal liability, but the fact remains that only the diver can violate those first three rules.

I did hear from someone that was there that him and his Daughter were doing alternate air source.

Disclamer: this is just hear say.

I'm sure that there OWSI feels terrible and since his student wasn't hurt, he won't be under any heat in that respect, but I shouldn't wonder if the issues listed above won't be raised.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. What is meant when it was said the man was being "re-certed"? If the instructor was certifying or refreshing him on skills then he was a student. Even if not, by merely letting the man participate in the class session and interact with students, the OWSI is assuming a responsibility. It could perhaps even be argued that the this incident might have been prevented had the OWSI been closely supervising the daughter.

Is everyone sure this was a checkout dive for the girl and not a post-certification fun dive after completing the checkouts?

Man I have read this whole thread. As an instructor it made me start second guessing things that I learned at the IDC. So the first thing I check was the RSTC for OW on the PADI website and this is cut and pasted off the website:

out-of-air emergency alternatives. Procedures allowing a diver to ascend to the surface in the
event of an out-of-air situation.
dependent procedures include: alternate air source; buddy breathing; redundant air supply
(provided by buddy).
independent procedures include: emergency ascent; redundant air supply

Buddy Breathing is listed and looking at my Instructor Slates it states the Buddy Beathing is Optional. (But it is an option) (earlier post had stated that it had been removed from the PADI RSTC)

And Gary correct me if I am wrong, but I was taught that students could perfom the Buddy Breathing skill with each other, BUT the instructor had to have direct contact with them at all times.

Its real easy to place blame and to assume with out all the facts. Im sure what agency the instructor was affiliated with is looking into it and in the future there will be some resolution.

Buddy Breathing is listed and looking at my Instructor Slates it states the Buddy Beathing is Optional. (But it is an option) (earlier post had stated that it had been removed from the PADI RSTC)

padimembers.com > login

then click members toolbox (upper right corner)

then, at the bottom of the first section labeled "Training" is a hotlink for training bulletins, click that...

then select your language, mine is English...

then, download or open the PDF file for 4th Quarter, 2009...

Page 5, left column, under "Open Water" you can read all about the deletion of buddy breathing... then, continue reading on Page 6, right column, under Skill 2 - equipment exchange...

I hate to say it, but you gotta read the training bulletins... we've been talking about this for months and months around the shop...

We are taught about the different type of Low on Air/Out of Air Ascents in O/W Class.
Low on Air/Out of Air Ascents (order of priority, Least Dangerous to Most Dangerous)
1. Normal Ascent
2. Alt. Air Source Ascent
3. Controlled Emergency Ascent
4. Buddy Breathing Ascent
5. Buoyant Emergency Ascent

I think this incident highlights why #4 is so dangerous. I know that everyone does #1,2 &3 on Open Water check out dives. Most instructors do 4 & 5 in the Pool Only and do #5 in Open Water, only at the surface. Primary reason because of the danger (I could be wrong, but I believe that it is possible to have a lung over-expansion injury in 6ft on water) involved.

My question is this, How many instructors do #'s 4 & 5 in 20'- 25' of Open Water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom