Voyager EXP Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally am moving from back inflate bc to bpw...received my new gear yesterday and started to assemble it. (Not as bad as I thought though the webbing directions were not accurate but was able to figure it out)

Anyhow as I was reading over all the paper work with each item (work in maintenance so this is a bad habit I picked up no more just throwing away the instructions and build it :D)

Reading up on the wing, it states it is only for up to a LP 95 tank (single wing). When doing research on what to get one thing I was looking for was something with sufficent lift for single 120s as this is what I am going to use for my caven and intro to cave in Nov. as we are not using doubles. Everthing I found and deduced was that this 40lb lift would work fine, but now if I go by manufacture paper work its not sufficent.

My normal tank that I dive is a hp 100, and what if I were to add a bail out bottle like a 30-40 cuft. I havent dove the wing yet so I suppose I could send it back and get something different but I do not want a doubles wing that I have to use the taco tabs or anything else with it.

Thanks

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2012 at 09:35 AM ----------

Got my answer, that is the rating for doubles so max doubles 95 lp

Personally I wouldn't worry about the "recommended tank size" . It's not possible to apply a universal rule that "This wing applies to this tank". Your exposure protection has a much greater impact on your wing requirements than the volume of air in your tanks.

As you may or may not know, a wing needs to do two things:
---Float your rig without you in it
---Compensate for the weight you will lose from the gas you're carrying and the loss of buoyancy at depth of whatever exposure protection you're wearing

With an HP100 and 40 pony - that's only 12 lbs , leaving 28 for exposure suit compression.

Have you tried the Wing lift calculation in the BC subforum? http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

Sean, nope thanks for the tip will check it out. I kind of figured as much but being as OCD as I am at times when it comes to safety ( worked medium and high voltage for several years) I just wanted to be sure it was going to do the job and I also got word back that they lp 95s would be in a doubles configuration so I will be fine with the singles I will dive.

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't worry about the "recommended tank size" . It's not possible to apply a universal rule that "This wing applies to this tank". Your exposure protection has a much greater impact on your wing requirements than the volume of air in your tanks.

As you may or may not know, a wing needs to do two things:
---Float your rig without you in it
---Compensate for the weight you will lose from the gas you're carrying and the loss of buoyancy at depth of whatever exposure protection you're wearing

With an HP100 and 40 pony - that's only 12 lbs , leaving 28 for exposure suit compression.

Have you tried the Wing lift calculation in the BC subforum? http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

That's an odd limitation ... without knowing what other equipment you're using, how can they possibly give that sort of recommendation?

Sounds like a CYA spec to me.

FWIW - I routinely dive HP130's using a 35# singles wing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I agree it is more than likely a CYA spec, thanks for letting me know that you dive the 130s cause if we can we may do that for our cavern and intro if we can get them.

Thanks
That's an odd limitation ... without knowing what other equipment you're using, how can they possibly give that sort of recommendation?

Sounds like a CYA spec to me.

FWIW - I routinely dive HP130's using a 35# singles wing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Than LP95 and HP120 are fine with that wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom