Vulcan Lakes/ Three Oaks recreational area in Crystal Lake, IL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver DennisP

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on this area? Other than what is on the Crystal Lake website? Will there be diving? I drive past these lakes all of the time and think about how nice it would be to dive there rather than drive all the way to Pearl Lake.

Thanks
Dennis

From what I have heard no decision has been mad on opening it up to diving.

I plan on getting in there one way or another. Hopefully they allow divers cause i'd rather not get arrested LOL

When I lived up there, diving was prohibited. Art and a buddy of mine dove in Vulcan once with the fire team and said it wasn't anything spectacular. If it does open up for scuba diving, it will be a lot shorter of a drive than Pearl Lake.

If it does open up for scuba diving, it will be a lot shorter of a drive than Pearl Lake.

Thats really the biggest point. A 12 min drive as opposed to 60min. Im sure if it is turned into a dive lake, there will be some things added to make it more interesting as well as submerged platforms for instruction.

Just read an article in the newspaper regarding the Three Oaks Rec. Center in Crystal Lake. Apparently they are considering allowing diving in the North Lake of the complex. I don't know where that is in relation to the main lake they are opening this fall or early spring 2011. I would really like to see diving allowed there as it is much closer to home for me than either Pearl lake or Haigh Quarry. This would also be a huge benefit to the LDS's in the Northwest Suburbs for the same reason. I am going to find out the contact person who is on the board for these lakes and post it on this Thread. If enough people speak out for allowing diving at that location perhaps we can get something decent closer to home.:cool3:

Not sure if you ever cotacted Art Koch at Sea Level Diving, but he's pretty rude--maybe the guy was having a bad day, but everytime I dove or was around him he seems to be a bit on edge (maybe too much pressure is affecting him)--but just FYI-I would look else where when it came to questions about diving in Crystal lake

Last edited:
I can see how Art might be getting frustrated with people calling him asking questions about diving at a city facility with which he has no control considering it has not yet been permitted. The current rumor is that SCUBA will be allowed sometime in 2012.

I will say that I got my OW, AOW, and Nitrox certification at Sea Level Diving and I have had nothing but positive experiences with Art and everyone there.

I don't know if anyone is still wondering but I talked with Art today and the city is going to allow diving...eventually. There are two platforms for training just past the boat rental and most shop dives (classes) should dive there with an instructor. The city is looking to open it up to the public but not until there is a suitable entry into the water in the diving area. The "official" start date for diving in three oaks was.... wait for it...two months ago. A call to thea parks office found that they are still planning to open it up for diving but during thethe call Ito was unofficially informed they are still in the "planning and determining public interest" phase. I am cautiously optimistic about three oaks but would be willing to wager on the 2013 dive season. However, when the park is officially open some information can be found at (Although this is on the Sea Level Diving (SLD) website. Note: I was told by both SLD and the park office that until the entry/access is completed there is no public diving allowed. When it is open to the public it looks like SLD has their ducks in a row. I did find this on the SLD website.

http://www.sealeveldiving.com/index.php/component/content/article/3-trips/128-discover-local-diving

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom