vyper for deco dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquanut

Reaction score
Need some input from anyone who uses their vyper for deco dives. I have recently started doing deco dives and have been using my suunto vyper in gauge mode, which works fine. However, after a weekend of deco dives, I wanted to do a shallow dive using computer mode. It would not allow me to enter computer mode until it cleared after a couple of days. My question is this, does anyone do any deco dives (using tables) and just keep their computer in computer mode? By my way of understanding, it should only lock me out then if I violate any deco stop or ascent rate.
I can see a problem however, is that if the table gives a shorter obligation than the computer, then you would be screwed. Any input?

If you're using deep stops and deco gasses, you'll get out faster using tables. In that case, if you kept it in computer mode, you would have to get out of the water and hurry up and put the computer back in the water to let it clear. I don't know how much time the Vyper will give you before it locks up. I haven't done this with the Vyper yet, but we have done it a lot with Aladin Pro's which we used for timers -- just dropped 'em back in the water and let them clear.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a shallow dive much if you're deco'ing out properly for your other dives. I'd just keep it in gauge mode the entire time.

Good luck.

Mike

L_Y,

Just rig a 'hang line' with a clip. When you are ready to surface
(against the 'puter's advice) then take the puter and clip it
off at 10 feet. Surface. Let it clear. Pull it on board.

VOILA !!!!!!!

G_M

Talk about a can of worms.
Out of curiosity, why is computer yelling that you are bent?
This seems like a very odd practice, is this normal?

Because you can get out faster with tables and proper deco techniques than you can with a computer. It doesn't know that you switched gasses, so it thinks you're still on air and need to stay in and do more deco.

I don't know how common it is anymore with cheap bottom timers that are now available from OMS and Uwatec. I just never got around to buying one and just kept the computer in the water until it cleared. Now I have a Vyper which I like because of it's gauge mode and downloadable feature.

Mike

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom