W40 lumen output

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, but the light you describe is not smaller (measured by volume) and brighter with no longer burning time. (Has to meet all three criteria)
But I already wrote this.

Can I claim a free W40?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-lights/294367-modified-w200.html

The link shows a light I build ( based on a copy of a W40).

I machine the body down slightly to decrease its volume.
I use a higher bin Cree LED so its brighter.
I modify the internals so it can take 2 Li Ion 18650 3.7v 2500-3000ma cells so the burn time is increased.

Please PM me for shipping details. I look forward to receiving my W40 although Im not sure what I will do with it. :rofl3:

Thank you for using our W 40 as Model :)

That shows us we are still the leader of Backup lights. :kiss2:

But what is your burning time?

Can I claim a free W40?

I modify the internals so it can take 2 Li Ion 18650 3.7v 2500-3000ma cells so the burn time is increased.

Please PM me for shipping details. I look forward to receiving my W40 although Im not sure what I will do with it. :rofl3:

That depends on chosen output level.
Max output its 4-5 hours at full output (no dimming as the cells go flat)

If your light has more than 15 000 LUX, then you will get a BackUp 40 for free.
Please send us your light so that we can proof it that all three criteria are fulfilled.
Don't worry you will get it back.

Send it to

TillyTec USA
Attn: Ralf Werner
1767 Monterey DR NE
Unit 305
Palm Bay, Fl 32905

Ralf
TillyTec USA

Just re read your "Truth about Lumens" link, I think I understand it now makes sense although the problem is that all manufacturers dont list lux, there is no consistent unit of comparable measurement so it is still hard for the consumer to know how bright the light that they are buying actually is. What is the smallest unit of lux difference that is visable to the human eye/ i.e. what diff in lux can I see 100 lux or 500 lux or 1000 lux? With the example you gave of a 500 Lumen light with 1500lux being brighter than a 1000 lumen light with 1300lux how is this visually different? there must be more to it otherwise lumen value has absolutely no meaning. There must be some link between lumen value and lux, no? Thanks

Last edited:
Let me try to explain it. Hope you will understand it. (Would be easier for me in German :D )

The term lumen is coming quasi from the general illuminating. For example a lamp for the kitchen or living room or stadium light or street light, there is lumen very important and the only thing what counts. Lux wouldn’t make any sense here. In all of this in all these examples goes therefore that the light source emits 360 degrees. In diving goes therefore that the light does not emit 360 degrees but approx. 5-15 degrees forward and not 360 degrees to everywhere.
So lux is forwards, lumen is to everywhere; and exactly this is the mistake which everyone almost makes, because there is not one single diver on this planet who wants to have the light to behind (or everywhere) but everyone wants to have it forwards! What wants the costumer know now exactly?
The human nature is snoopy like a cat and wants to know what the human eyes can see.
Well, that is simple.
The human eye can see approx. between 0.2 lux and 100.000 lux.
Thereto an example:

0.2 is a moon night and 100.000 lux a nice, cloud free, sunny day. Which difference can the human eye see if it sees two light sources together? This depends most intensive from the lux number.
If e.g. you have 100 000 lux, then you cannot recognize 70 000 lux directly besides that as darker.
Imagine: You have a lamp, which has 500 lux and another one which has 1000 lux. You can see the difference very good and clear. If you, however, have a lamp with 15 000 lux and one with 11 000 lux, you can see the difference barely, if the eye is practiced well.

As a rule of thumb at dive lights you can say that 30%-50% difference can still seen by the human eye. 100% is a superb plain brightness augmentation.

To this another example with our light heads:

The LED 500 light head has 15 000 lux
The LED 1000 light head has 30 000 lux
You can see the difference very clear !!! ( 100 % more light/brightness )
The LED 750 has 25 000 lux
The LED 1000 has 30 000 lux
Here it is very hard to see the light difference with your eyes only!! (only 20 % more light/brightness)
The LED 1000 has 30 000 lux
The LED 2000 has 45 000 lux
Here it is very clear to see the light difference just with your eyes!! (50 % more light/brightness)

I hope you understand what I mean and it is more clear now why lux is more important for dive lights.

Ralf
TillyTec USA

Last edited:
Can I claim a free W40?

Did you send us your light for testing yet?

Ralf
TillyTec USA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom