Waikiki dive ops in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. Trying to make a choice on dive ops in Hawaii...will be in Waikiki for a conference and was thinking Island Divers, but haven't committted. I also haven't heard much about them here. Any opinions? One of the reasons I was thinking them is it looks like I can do morning deep dives and be back to the hotel by 1pm? I have conference stuff in the afternoon one of the days I have 'free". Also, I don't have transportation and they can pick me up--I will have my gear, so that is more appealing to me than lugging my stuff in a taxi. Also want to be able to do 4 dives (deep in a.m. and shallow in p.m.) in a day. It was hard to tell if other ops can do this sort of arrangement? Has anyone dove with them or others? It doesn't seem like Kaimana divers (which is know is loved on this board) can do some of the logistics --at least from their webiste--hard to tell. I want to go with an op that doesnt' just cater to newbie divers--most of the reviews on yelp and trip advisor seem to be newer divers. I prefer to not have to go to the surface if I still have lots of bottom time and gas if a newbie chews through their air in 20 min. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

If you're having to go from ID in Hawaii Kai back to Waikiki by 1pm, using their van, you'd better triple check ahead of time that whomever is driving it back doesn't intend to, say, give an EAN written test to some of their students for 45+ minutes while you're waiting to get driven back. Kaimana frequently leaves from Kewalo Basin, which is much closer to Waikiki, and they're pretty good about drop offs/pickups. Just based on my experience using both shops while traveling with gear, I'd say you're safer with KD...but ID was also good diving and helped me get where I needed to be (thanks Nate!).

My experience has been better with KD re: smaller, generally more experienced groups for diving with and being given latitude to not ascend just because Tubby McKettle hoovered through an 80 in no time flat. Or, more concretely, not being pressured to ascend when rest of the group (on air) had to even though I'd been sold and had paid good money for EAN that day and had 1200psi left in the tank. However, it really depends on who you get running the dives that day and the group you have that day--I've had 'less than ideal for an experienced diver' DMs and 'awesomely hands off' DMs with both outfits.

At the end of the day, you can do you own due diligence about who you think will give you the diving you want. But in terms of transportation and getting back to Waikiki on a schedule, I'd strongly suggest giving Gabe a call, because Hawaii Kai isn't going to work well with your plans. ID does do a great 3 tanker on Sunday out of Kewalo Basin, though, that you should consider.

The four times I've been out there I've used Kaimana Divers (Scottitheduck) and have no problem recommending them and the service they provide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom