Wakatobi extension - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indo (and the Indo-Pacific area) is far vastly better than the Caribbean, better to stay in Indo longer and skip the Caribbean,
I have dived extensively in both areas and I disagree on an arbitrary statement like that.

• The Indo-Pacific is doubtless better for more colourful small fish.
  • The Caribbean has the edge on more colourful coral overall.
  • Pelagics are variable. Manta Rays are mainly creatures seen in the Indo-Pacific but the Caribbean has by far more shark sightings.

Both regions have their attractions

Indo (and the Indo-Pacific area) is far vastly better than the Caribbean, better to stay in Indo longer and skip the Caribbean,

I agree, if you have 2 weeks of time to spend your bang for bucks is much better around the Pacific rather than the Caribbean. I like to do 4 week more more trips these days, and it's a much better deal the longer you stay.

I should make note that I am East Coast USA based, most Caribbean locations are less than 6 hours flight time away. But cost 75% of flying half way around the world.

Bjs

I have dived extensively in both areas and I disagree on an arbitrary statement like that.

• The Caribbean has the edge on more colourful coral overall.

Ummm... where are you diving in the Caribbean?? I've never seen anything in the Caribbean that approaches the color and coral diversity of Indo. So, I must be missing a great spot!

Ummm... where are you diving in the Caribbean?? I've never seen anything in the Caribbean that approaches the color and coral diversity of Indo. So, I must be missing a great spot!
For example, we found lush and healthy coral in almost every dive in Turks & Caicos and Little Cayman. But it is not just a matter of comparison; what I am saying is that we just cannot be dismissive that the Caribbean is nothing compared with Indo-Pac. My view is that both regions have their attractions.

I've been to the resort twice and the Pelagian once.

1) Worth it? Hard to say. I consider the house reef one of my favorite dive sites. There are other dive sites worth diving at the resort besides the house reef.
2) Not really any thing to do. The sightseeing is pretty limited. Yes there is a real beach.

I would lean towards doing it, as long as you are in the neighborhood. It's not a great value, but what the heck. I found the resort dive sites better than anything we saw on the Pelagian, although we did see some pelagics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom