Wakatobi in end of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all you lovely divers out there.
I've pretty much been diving everywhere in Indonesia - Wakatobi is the only place really missing.
I've got an extra week now in end of July and consider going to Wakatobi/Tomia.

Anyone who knows how the wether is at that time?

BR
Katja

Windy ...

The resort claims "the sea ripples somewhat" in July and August, but there are videos online showing a couple of feet of windblown chop coming ashore there. Candidly, I can't say firsthand, as we've only been there a little later. It really is an area of Indonesia that is blessed with a lot of sunny, placid weather, though. You would probably find that, in reality, it's just not as calm as other times of the year.

Wakatobi Dive Resort - Diving Seasons and Weather Conditions

... and historical weather data here ...

Wakatobi Dive Resort - Weather Data

Here the response I received from one of the dive center in wakatobi.

The occasional large waves at this time are bought in from the northerly winds. lease find a dive map attached to this email. As you can see the resort is situated almost directly facing north and therefore at the time when the waves are present the House reef (Dive sites 1 & 2) and a remote Coral Atoll (Dive sites 14 & 15) are not possible to dive. The other dive sites indicated (and many we have not got room to fit on the map) are situated in the shelter of the island and are still fully accessible and offer a fantastic range of diving. In either the first week or third week of July we can still offer you amazing diving around the Wakatobi.

Tomia is further south, probably a bit better.

That is interesting. They say they have Northerly winds. I presumed that the prevailing winds in July also there would be coming from the South. Such as is the case at South Sulawesi, Ambon, Misool and Weda Bay, Halmahera.

That is interesting. They say they have Northerly winds. I presumed that the prevailing winds in July also there would be coming from the South. Such as is the case at South Sulawesi, Ambon, Misool and Weda Bay, Halmahera.

If I can find the video, I'll post a link to it, but it shows a heavy chop coming into the pier from the SSW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom