Wakatobi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daphna130

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone been to Wakatobi land resort recently? Comments??
Curious to see how it is, as I was there in 2005, heard it is much improved.

Daphna

I was there in... 2008. It was amazing.
Awesome diving, GREAT GREAT food.

It's a pain to get there, but it was all worthy. If I had to do it again, I would book the liveaboard + resort package.

My wife and I are headed there next May for 10 days.. Hoping it's all I've heard it is. The worst thing I heard was a guy went expecting a Ferrarri but got a BMW instead. I guess I can live with that.

Let me know how your experience is.My dive buddy heard if you fly to Denpasar and check in with the Wakatobi office after arrival they will let you fly in the next day and stay half price if there are openings at the resort, and in this economy I am certain there are. He wants to go there...and I am not really motivated to.
Things that bothered me: many of the divers there were absolute novices , some with point & shoots they could not manage, they mauled the reefs and could not handle the currents, and a loud speaker blared music from a noisy bar at the end of a pier until all hours, then a ferry transporting people by the beach at dawn blared more music.
Is that a tranquil island getaway??
In 2005 the place was very marginal in the dive department and the rooms, which is why I never returned. I hope you are staying in a villa as the other rooms are not great.
Why pay for a Ferrari and get a BMW ,that is a huge spread- have you driven a Ferrari and a BMW ?? then you know the difference- I have ... or as my group got, a Toyota... LOL
Good luck, I am headed to El Galleon in Philippines, one non-stop flight, then car and short boat ride, and you are there, also less $$ and still great diving and upmarket accommodations.
Cheers!

Let me know how your experience is.My dive buddy heard if you fly to Denpasar and check in with the Wakatobi office after arrival they will let you fly in the next day and stay half price if there are openings at the resort, and in this economy I am certain there are. He wants to go there...and I am not really motivated to.
Things that bothered me: many of the divers there were absolute novices , some with point & shoots they could not manage, they mauled the reefs and could not handle the currents, and a loud speaker blared music from a noisy bar at the end of a pier until all hours, then a ferry transporting people by the beach at dawn blared more music.
Is that a tranquil island getaway??
In 2005 the place was very marginal in the dive department and the rooms, which is why I never returned. I hope you are staying in a villa as the other rooms are not great.
Why pay for a Ferrari and get a BMW ,that is a huge spread- have you driven a Ferrari and a BMW ?? then you know the difference- I have ... or as my group got, a Toyota... LOL
Good luck, I am headed to El Galleon in Philippines, one non-stop flight, then car and short boat ride, and you are there, also less $$ and still great diving and upmarket accommodations.
Cheers!

Things must have changed dramatically in 2008. The resort I went to was nothing like you described. Wakatobi is in my top 5 list of best dive resorts. I have also been to El Galeon and would not even put them in the same class. Marine life, the dives, the ocean and everything in Wakatobi was so much better.

So you will be replacing the Italian couple?, she was nice enough but he was a bit of a jerk.
Please try to make the Pelagian, a different diving experience than Wakatobi, as things were a few years ago
we spent 2 days doing the same sites as Wakatobi divers (which made a few people quite unhappy)

But as the general thread implies, Wakatobi, Pelagian is over priced($$$$$), spend less money go to R4($$$$), or Lembeh($$$).

I have been to Wakatobi twice (once in 2007 for 7 days, and once in 2008 for 17 days), and liked it very much.

I disagree that most of the divers are novices. Most of the divers were quite experienced, and divers who were rough on the reef (who were few) were politely helped by the dive guides. I disagree with the idea that the food was great. It was fine, but it was just good buffet food, and nothing special. I note that I am in the minority on this viewpoint, as a lot of people rave about the food. The diving is mostly wall diving, and the reefs are extremely healthy, and the fish diversity is excellent. I think that the resort sometimes gets negative reviews because they advertise themselves as the pinnacle of diving. While the diving is excellent, I do not think that it is as good as some alternatives (e.g., Raja Ampat), or appreciably better than some Philippine destinations that are considerably less expensive. With all that said, I think that Wakatobi has some of the best diving I have seen, and I consider it a well run organization. Hope this helps.
-Erwin

I just back from wakatobi, and stay at patuno, my experience is really sad and fail. so...
the reef was great, but the planning, the pricing and all is such a rip off.

Back
Top Bottom